991 Coolant Leak

IXLR8

How many owners of a 991.1 or 991.2 have had a leak from the coolant pump or the plastic coolant pipe? I've certainly read about my share of them on Rennlist, but nothing here.

May 2020, my 2015 991.1 with under 5000 km started to leak at the joint between the plastic coolant pipe and the thermostat housing. Nothing serious in that I never had to add any coolant but it would leak the odd time when I took it for a run. I checked the fastener torque at that fitting.

I did a search in the Porsche part catalog (last one being from 2018) and the part number had not changed, not even for the newer 991.2 models, even when  looking at photos on Google images. I did come across a few images of the flange that had an aluminum collar to distribute the clamping load better, but I haven't come across any information on it. I thought it might have been a factory Porsche modification.

So I placed an order at my local Porsche dealer for the plastic coolant pipe and associated O-rings. It seems the part number has changed from 9A1 106 238 00 to OPB 121 076 and sure enough, Porsche did make some changes to the part (it took them long enough).

Even though my 991.1 is still on CPO warranty, I'll be doing the job myself since I want to flush my coolant as well. I have an issue with dealers and shops working on my cars and motorcycles.

IMG_0782 - 1.JPG

Coolant Pump Assembly - 2.jpg

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Coolant Pipe 1 - Text.jpg

Coolant Pipe 2 - Text.jpg

Yes, at about 12,000ks. Rang my dealer & they sent a tilt tray to collect it, fixed under warranty, no charge. Apparently rare but not unheard off. My service manager said it’s a sh#t of a job & has to be done just so, I waited 2 extra days as the guy in the workshop he wanted to do the job was on leave. If it’s not done perfectly you’ll be at it again.

My understanding is that the O ring fails randomly. I’m now at 21,000k, all good.

• 1 month later...

Coolant leak fixed. At the moment, I simply replaced the O-ring between the black plastic coolant pipe and the thermostat housing. I do have the updated black plastic coolant pipe, but it involves a bit more work to replace it. I can do so at a later time.

2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS. Purchased from the original owner in 2018 (3y 1m after initial delivery) with 98 miles. Coolant pipe started to leak intermittently in May 2020. It was an intermittent and a slow leak. I never had to add any coolant to the coolant reservoir. Then during my first two drives in 2021, the coolant pipe leaked each time. Although I am still under CPO warranty and if anything I trust my local dealer far more than the independents, I chose to fix this myself.

I found plenty of coolant leak complaints on various forums, but it seems 991 owners had them fixed under warranty. I did come across Forrester out of the UK (a Rennlister) who clarified some of the questions I had.

Porsche 991 Coolant Leak - Now Fixed

• 3 weeks later...

Now after numerous drives simply because my coolant leak was an intermittent leak and I wanted to make sure it was fixed right, no more leaks.

Nice to be in the car, take longer drives and not worry. And nice to open it up now and then. But sometimes I wonder if I shoudn't have bought an Extra 300 or 330 instead. You can't get a speeding ticket or charged with dangerous driving up in the sky.

• 1 year later...

Well here we go again, coolant pipe burst today (26,000ks). 1st time it happened was when the car was 2 years old @ about 12,000ks,  now 4 years later it’s happened again. All I can say is thank goodness for taking out extended warranty. Dumped ALL the coolant in about 100mtrs 😱😱😱😱

On 13/12/2022 at 18:04, GC9911 said:

Well here we go again, coolant pipe burst today (26,000ks). 1st time it happened was when the car was 2 years old @ about 12,000ks,  now 4 years later it’s happened again. All I can say is thank goodness for taking out extended warranty. Dumped ALL the coolant in about 100mtrs 😱😱😱😱

Update!!!
Advised by PCSS today that I’ve had a water pump failure. It will be replaced under the extended warranty. Did a bit of research & apparently this is a common problem for 991.2 & some 718s. In the USA Porsche NA have issued a 10 year warranty on water pumps, it’s also an issue in the UK, but no 10 year warranty if you’re outside the USA. Once again thank goodness for extended warranty.

21 hours ago, GC9911 said:

In the USA Porsche NA have issued a 10 year warranty on water pumps, it’s also an issue in the UK, but no 10 year warranty if you’re outside the USA.

Same in Canada. The USA always has far more consumer protection laws.

image.png