Fuel Additive

CarreraG50

Hi Folks,

Like most people, life gets in the way of my PORSCHE time. Lately only getting to drive the car about

once a month. Only use BP Ultimate, however I have heard the octane rating drops quite fast, so thinking about a fuel "stabiliser".

My research shows that some of the lead replacement products also work as a stabiliser. So what harm am I going to do using say FLASHLUBE in my 87 carrera 3.2. Will it actually help with the known valve guide wear issue. Or do I just use STA-BIL or similar.

Look forward to your thoughts.

cheers

John

AFAIK, leaded fuel will eventually ruin the catalytic convertor and O2 sensor in an unleaded car.  And if you're not using your car much, and it will always have lead additive in the tank, then it'll be bad for the cat, but at the mileage you're doing, it'll take a loooong time to die :)

Also the lead additive helps to reduce valve seat wear, which is quite different to the valve guide wear that the flat sixes suffer from. I'd say lead additive won't help reduce valve guide wear at all, and you'd be better off with an unleaded-friendly stabiliser

Good question and some great info.

I always run the car low so I have fresh BP in the tank for a run.

Racing Karts for many years I saw just how fast it can go off.

I know, it was 2 stroke and its not the same thing.

But it has stuck in the mind.

Look farward to more on the issue.

Archived