Fuel tank cleaning and resurfacing

Seventy911

Hi everyone. I did do a forum search this topic but didn't manage to find a specific answer so, happy to follow a link if it exists already.

I have my tank out for a clean along with replacing old hoses and fitting a new pump and I'm hoping for a recommendation for where to go for cleaning and relining. The tank is is good cosmetic condition; it doesn't leak and there is no rust anywhere else so I'm expecting the tank is much the same. I've pulled the sender and it has been relined by the PO about 12 years ago. There is a lot of varnish inside and I've noticed the lining is flakey in parts so I'd like to either have it cleaned and coated (over the existing relining if that works) or stripped inside and done right.  Google was particularly helpful so hoping to hear from the good folks here please?

many thanks,

Thanks tomo,

I did a bit more research on this last night and as I suspected the sealing or lining applied by the PO will need to be removed so the new sealing can adhere properly to bare steel. Doesn't sound like much fun but if the lock down in Melbourne continues, I'll be ordering the KBS kit and paint stripper😬

It’s worth clearing out your local Woolies / Coles of apple cider vinegar and pouring it in the tank for a few days. It strips pretty much anything, I used it several years ago successfully on my tank. That had sat with 1/4 tank of fuel for 20+ years that had gone solid, plus quite rusty. Put 30 litres of apple cider vinegar in, sealed it up and just rolled it around for a couple of weeks, hey presto shiny tank and easy to dispose of. 

21 hours ago, Mike-S said:

It’s worth clearing out your local Woolies / Coles of apple cider vinegar and pouring it in the tank for a few days. It strips pretty much anything, I used it several years ago successfully on my tank. That had sat with 1/4 tank of fuel for 20+ years that had gone solid, plus quite rusty. Put 30 litres of apple cider vinegar in, sealed it up and just rolled it around for a couple of weeks, hey presto shiny tank and easy to dispose of. 

I tried this also but the results were insignificant compared to the KBS kit.

It's a big thing to man-handle & keep rotating for 1/2 hour so while the sealant makes its way around.

In saying that, my tank is now completely sealed inside and has been no problem for the last 2 years. Gives good peace of mind...

Hi Sus911,

I have the the kbs kit and a big tin of methylene chloride paint stripper. I'm going to try an extendable handle, cylindrical duster from Bunnings as my applicator though I'm expecting this will be a challenge. I'll put up some pics, hopefully this works out well and might help others.🤞