Swepco 201 Gear Oil

Dreamr

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone in Sydney / Central Coast / Newcastle area has any Swepco 201 gear oil they are happy to sell.

I'm wanting to change the oil in the 924 and I need about 2.5 litres.

Alternatively, does anyone know where to buy some here in Oz?

Thanks in advance ... Ronny.

Ronny,

There have been a number of threads on this over the years with the last known supplier being: Swepco 201 Multi-Purpose Gear Oil - 90W 1 gal. 90W | Racegear WA

Personally I'd just go to Repco and buy: Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus Fluid 75W-90 1L - 3377738 - Gear Oils | Repco Australia

(Just check I've linked the correct GL and viscosity as I'm drinking beer at the moment)

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone in Sydney / Central Coast / Newcastle area has any Swepco 201 gear oil they are happy to sell.

I'm wanting to change the oil in the 924 and I need about 2.5 litres.

Alternatively, does anyone know where to buy some here in Oz?

Thanks in advance ... Ronny.

Ronny, I have some here in north Qld, but to save the hassle of shipping it, I’ll try find the supplier I used, pretty sure it came from Sydney 

Edit: I don’t have enough left sorry. 

Anyway, here is a couple of old links with contacts

https://www.typ901.org/forum/forum/typ901-register-forums/general-technical-info/3973-gear-oil

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Ronny,

There have been a number of threads on this over the years with the last known supplier being: Swepco 201 Multi-Purpose Gear Oil - 90W 1 gal. 90W | Racegear WA

Personally I'd just go to Repco and buy: Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus Fluid 75W-90 1L - 3377738 - Gear Oils | Repco Australia

(Just check I've linked the correct GL and viscosity as I'm drinking beer at the moment)

Thanks Pete ..

The reason I wanted the Swepco is that it’s supposed to be one of the best oils to “help” with synchro issues. I know its not a cure, but I’d just like to try and prolong the need to rebuild.

What are your thoughts on the oil you linked to if I struggle with the Swepco? Is it any better than the others on the market? .. Others also highly recommend for synchro issues, and I would have been happy to try the Red Line MT90, but my gearbox “needs” a GL5 oil and the Red Line is GL4.

The box in the 924 need to be rebuilt so I thought I’d try the cheap option first.

1 hour ago, 901er said:

Ronny, I have some here in north Qld, but to save the hassle of shipping it, I’ll try find the supplier I used, pretty sure it came from Sydney 

Hey Mick! ...

Thanks for the offer but you’re probably right about the shipping. If you can find any Sydney supplier details, that would be great .. 😀

21 hours ago, Dreamr said:

What are your thoughts on the oil you linked to if I struggle with the Swepco? Is it any better than the others on the market? .. Others also highly recommend for synchro issues, and I would have been happy to try the Red Line MT90, but my gearbox “needs” a GL5 oil and the Red Line is GL4.

Ronny,

Often certain brands of oil are attributed with special properties that really can't be objectively justified in practice.  I did a search on what specification transmission oil you need but got conflicting results.  Consequently I suggest you double check what the owners manual recommends and just go along to your local Repco or Supercheap and buy whatever is suitable on the shelf.  If the specs of the linked Castrol oil above meets that spec in the owners manual, I'd buy it without a second thought.

I used it on my 1968 Porsche, which as it turned out had a 1965 gearbox.  Swepco oils certainly made a noticeable difference to shifting smoothness on the very early cars.  On my Carrera with the G50, I use a Porsche approved oil from Autobarn.

Hey Dreamr,

I have this Swepco 201 left over from past use.

My daughters boyfriend lives in Maitland, so it's possible to get it closer to you in the next couple of weeks (he just went back home Wednesday morning😞)

Make me an offer if you're interested. 

0O6XlZq.jpg

1 hour ago, 81SC said:

Hey Dreamr,

I have this Swepco 201 left over from past use.

My daughters boyfriend lives in Maitland, so it's possible to get it closer to you in the next couple of weeks (he just went back home Wednesday morning😞)

Make me an offer if you're interested. 

0O6XlZq.jpg

PM sent .. 🙂