ABS / PSM Failure 996 C4S

911CSR

Just wanted to put this up in case anyone else runs into the same issue

After driving the car last weekend with no issues, when I jumped in to start the car this morning the dash lit up with error lights for PSM and ABS as well as had a strange RPM drop on startup and running extremely rich. After finishing work and delving into it via GOOGLE it seems that the two (2) primary causes are:

1. Broken brake light switch - This can be checked and discoutned if the brake lights work properly
  2. AFM Error - Pulled the Durametic and read a number of errors including ABS/PSM as well as DME codes. Thsi aligned with the AFM errors others noted online.

Luckily I had previously bought a complete 2nd hand 997 airbox that included a AFM sensor. Cleaned using AFM cleaner and installed the complete air box, cleared the code with Durametic and its all back to normal.

Ordered a replacement sensor from Pelican and will replace anyway, but if I am honest I was surprised an AFM sensor change worked for a PSM failure and it wasn't an ABS wheel sensor or ring problem, but it is all in and working again.

C3BAC199-D3A0-4AE7-AAE0-1DC3FAB3E473.jpeg

Just now, 911CSR said:

Just wanted to put this up in case anyopne else runs into the same issue

After driving the car last weekend, when I start the car this morning the dash lit up with error lights for PSM and ABS as well as had a strange RPM drop on startup. After finishing work and delving into it via GOOGLE it seems that the two (2) primary causes are:

1. Broken brake light switch - This can be checked and discoutned if the brake lights work properly
  2. AFM Error - Pulled the Durametic and read a number of errors including ABS/PSM as well as DME codes. Thsi aligned with the AFM errors others noted online.

Luckily I had previously bought a complete 2nd hand 997 airbox that included a AFM sensor. Cleaned using AFM cleaner and installed the complete air box, cleared the code with Durametic and its all back to normal.

If I am honest I was surprised it worked and it wasn't an ABS wheel sensor or ring problem, but it is all in and working again.

Just as an FYI, something I occasionally struck with my 6.2 C2 was an ABS error caused by a front wheel lifting (eg coming out of a service station driveway at an angle, causing a wheel to lift).  This seemed to confuse the system resulting in an ABS error.  Solution was to turn the ignition off and restart....

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just as an FYI, something I occasionally struck with my 6.2 C2 was an ABS error caused by a front wheel lifting (eg coming out of a service station driveway at an angle, causing a wheel to lift).  This seemed to confuse the system resulting in an ABS error.  Solution was to turn the ignition off and restart....

Yeah saw this on various threads (reccomendation was to clean the sensor) and discounted as it came on without moving the car...Also a reset of codes with Durametic and restart didn't resolve the problem...Weekend job is to lift her up and go over all the ABS sensors