915 Gearbox oil change "How to"

Uncle

Thank you wasserkuhl, and if its good enough for someone who it OCD about oil its good enough for me:)

Agree with you completely regarding the coupler bushes, I changed all the the bushes on mine when i first got her as gear changes were like stirring porridge. It transformed the shifting experience! however six months later the shifting is getting a bit baulky? and while there was no evidence of slop in the gear lever i thought Id just check/adjust the coupler, and was surprised  to find the bushes starting to elongate already. I changed them (today actually ) with a set I'd gotten from the "Coupler Whisperer" and the shifting is fine again, amazing how 2mm of play in the bushes can make such a difference.

I let you know of the Swepco improves things for me.

Cheers

I was going to suggest the coupler whisperer, I used his bushes on both the 912 and C3.

The OEM bushes are not the best(which is unusual) Same as the rear rubber torsion/Springplate bushes, the OEM ones are too soft, Elephant Racing's harder bushes are a great replacement.

So if you have a completely sorted shifter and coupler(also the cup and rod bushes at the base of the shifter) then Swepco may make an improvement for you.

The next step is WEVO Classic shifter, WEVO PSJ and WEVO SS Engine and trans mounts - all enhance the precision; less movement.

and, the final step is the following :

Adjust the way you drive the 915 via the 2-step shift.

1st step - move the shifter from the gear that is engaged and let it pause in neutral(very briefly)

2nd step - move the shifter from neutral to the next gear you want by easing, let the synchros load up and ease it into gear.

Double clutch and/or heel and tow on downshfts to enable engine speed to match the gearbox speed.

These cars are meant to be driven and this just adds to my enjoyment!!!

If you can master a 915 you can drive anything. Fast, safely and with mechancial sympathy.

The coupler bushes I originally fitted were from BWA in Sydney (the blue poly type) they must be similar to the OE ones? on closer inspection of the coupler it would appear someone has been a bit rough with it in the past, so a Wevo might be an option to replace it with.

I agree, "Spirited" but not silly driving is easier than around town and I have adopted the shutting style you mentioned, the more i drive her the more natural it becomes.

Now I need to phone that Swepco rep tomorrow..

BWA sell the WEVO PSJ, its about $200.

I think the only other comparable PSJ is the Stomski Racing one.

I buy wevo as WEVO's founder is Australian, living in the States. Gotta support aussie brains somehow, they all leave when our government doesnt support them.

• 1 month later...

myself and ferds just swapped the oil on our cars. me because i don't know when it was done since the rebuild, him because the car is of unknown provenance so no idea when it was ever done (it was filthy oil!). mine had swepco in it already.

turns out the filler hole is a bit trickier with the trans coolers on our 915's, and a couple more cables that don't seem to run past uncle's gearbox (maybe from the 3.6 conversion??). for us it was all 17mm hex sockets, a 19mm plug would have been easier!

slight improvement on mine, i think it's about as good as a 915 gets until i upgrade from the seine gateshift to wevo and that's a minor step also.

will see how ferdinand fares, but i suspect some bushings/linkages need attention there also :)

Archived