3.0 engine number location?

Schnell

I know there are previous threads on this but I can't seem to find anything relative to my issue. 

I am in the process of purchasing a car that I know does not have a factory engine in it, but I have asked the seller to look for the engine number to confirm it is the 3.0 from an SC they were told it is. I have not been able to physically inspect the vehicle but have a PPI booked soon with a trusted mechanic. I like to do my own research and love numbers so I was hoping to work out what vehicle this particular engine came from. 

Now, as far as I'm aware, the number is located on the right of the fan as shown in green on multiple threads of Pelican parts here.

The seller was happy to help and looked for these numbers in this location and found absolutely nothing, it doesn't even appear they have been ground off. Does anyone have a better idea as to where the engine number may be or how to identify said engine?

Thanks in advance!

269062905_298630148872219_5187493229580679527_n.jpeg

268312127_297317755629618_8514240408488549495_n.jpeg

1 hour ago, Schnell said:

Also I have been given an engine number attached to the registration that starts with;

N9401***

which doesn’t seem to align with any engine nos I can find. Does this mean anything to anyone? 

That sounds like a police issued engine number - used for stolen/recovered cars etc. 

Have a look at the engine from below - it could be stamped there. 

Just now, OBRUT said:

That sounds like a police issued engine number - used for stolen/recovered cars etc. 

Have a look at the engine from below - it could be stamped there. 

That's pretty much what I have ascertained, further research has revealed that Porsche reissued engine cases as part and not an engine. So they weren't stamped with an engine number. So it's highly possible that this was ordered as a replacement block. The PPI is being performed by a trusted Porsche professional and they will be able to tell me what motor is in there. 

Most blank cases used “back in the day” were restamped with the number of the original engine being replaced.

Police numbers are issued when cars/parts etc were stolen and recovered and the original numbers had been removed or altered. 

I recall most casting numbers for SC 3 litre motors had the prefix of "930" instead of 911. Part numbers on many important items were also prefixed with 930.

What colour is the shroud? On SCs it was red.

My way of telling is:   if the upper head studs are broken - it is a 3 litre!  If the studs have pulled out of the case it is a 2.7 or earlier. (& hope you have good luck with it).

If it was a re-issued engine, then it will be stamped elsewhere. I have seen one that was stamped on the bottom of the case... I cannot remember exactly where, but ask him to have a look underneath.

I'm having a guess, that the car in question, is a black Targa.