Buying a Porsche Approved 911 and seeking guidance

Hi Guys, I am in the process of buying a 2015 991.1 base convertible with reasonably low ks. It’s sold by a Porsche dealer here in Melbourne as Porsche Approved. They promise me that the car is clean (Full Porsche service History) and will be serviced and 111 point check. I have been a BMW M fan boy and switching to Porsche for the first time and have come to realise, things are a little different here.  

Need all your guidance on some of the things I need to be aware of, recalls, etc.

What info can I ask for? E.g. ICU info, service history itemised breakdown barring personal info, etc.

Is there a Porsche VIN decoder?

Can I retro fit sport exhaust on this car through Porsche?

Any other considerations?

Much Appreciated, Praveen

I have now purchased 2 x 911s Porsche approved.  Speaking from experience, the level of detail they go through is extremely high as they give the 1 year warranty which can be extended, so they will not want to have any lingering skeletons in the closet. All recalls would be done and everything must be up to the German factory standard that they set before any car is Porsche approved (an ex Sales Manager at Porsche told me that). 

I did not bother doing a PPI (as the 111 point check to me is essentially that) and can honestly say, it is the best way to buy a 911. Yes there is a premium but to me it is worth it. 

Can't comment on the sports exhaust but if Porsche fit it, I cannot see an issue especially if it is a genuine part. 

35 minutes ago, The Bern Dog Experience said:

I have now purchased 2 x 911s Porsche approved.  Speaking from experience, the level of detail they go through is extremely high as they give the 1 year warranty which can be extended, so they will not want to have any lingering skeletons in the closet. All recalls would be done and everything must be up to the German factory standard that they set before any car is Porsche approved (an ex Sales Manager at Porsche told me that). 

I did not bother doing a PPI (as the 111 point check to me is essentially that) and can honestly say, it is the best way to buy a 911. Yes there is a premium but to me it is worth it. 

Can't comment on the sports exhaust but if Porsche fit it, I cannot see an issue especially if it is a genuine part. 

Thanks for that. Appreciate it. 

I have had positive experiences with purchasing certified pre-owned from office Porsche centres in the past. 

The 1 year warranty is worthwhile as it also allows you to extend the warranty after the 1 year period as well (up to 15 years of age of the vehicle)

So when you are factoring in the purchase price from the dealer you can allow for $2190.00 which is the cost of a 1 year warranty . If you purchased outside the dealer network you would have to pay $2490.00 to obtain the warranty to cover the cost of an inspection plus any other costs to get the vehicle to warrantable standard if it fails to meet the stringent requirements.

This can be purchased as a 1 year, 2 year or sometimes they have a promotion on a 4 year extension. 

https://porschemelbourne.com.au/Warranty-Extension

I can also report a positive experience with a warranty call, no fuss no push back at all just a delay in getting components which is a global thing at the moment of course, my current 2 year extension has already covered its cost.

A genuine PSE can be retrofitted at the dealer but you may need to check that they offer it for your specific vehicle.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ma=Australien (RL)&co=05&sp=1&cati=LP_Sportabgasanlagen und Sportendrohre&ac=product&ba=911&bt=991&pr=660ACA72C3728B9FC12579810049EBBB

3 hours ago, Grimmy said:

I have had positive experiences with purchasing certified pre-owned from office Porsche centres in the past. 

The 1 year warranty is worthwhile as it also allows you to extend the warranty after the 1 year period as well (up to 15 years of age of the vehicle)

So when you are factoring in the purchase price from the dealer you can allow for $2190.00 which is the cost of a 1 year warranty . If you purchased outside the dealer network you would have to pay $2490.00 to obtain the warranty to cover the cost of an inspection plus any other costs to get the vehicle to warrantable standard if it fails to meet the stringent requirements.

This can be purchased as a 1 year, 2 year or sometimes they have a promotion on a 4 year extension. 

https://porschemelbourne.com.au/Warranty-Extension

I can also report a positive experience with a warranty call, no fuss no push back at all just a delay in getting components which is a global thing at the moment of course, my current 2 year extension has already covered its cost.

A genuine PSE can be retrofitted at the dealer but you may need to check that they offer it for your specific vehicle.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ma=Australien (RL)&co=05&sp=1&cati=LP_Sportabgasanlagen und Sportendrohre&ac=product&ba=911&bt=991&pr=660ACA72C3728B9FC12579810049EBBB

Thanks Grimmy, appreciate it! The prior owner has paid up warranty until Sep 2025, so that was a bonus. I will ask the Business Manager around the 4 year promo and see if I can sign up from 2025 now.

thanks for the retrofit link, will check it out.

once again, many thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

@The Bern Dog Experience and @Grimmy - Gents, I didn’t end up going with that car. All was well but something didn’t feel right for me.

so back on the market and have found another car with about 52k kms. 2015 convertible S. This is sold by a boutique / local dealer but the car has full Porsche service history and warranty until May 2024. The rep says, it’s technically a porsche approved car as it’s got full service history and warranty. He also said I don’t need to do a 111 check again as Porsche would have done it when they last serviced the car and extended the warranty for 2 more years in May 22. 

BUT, the service book shows the last service was indeed done in May 22 but the kms is mentioned as 57k. But the car has only done 52,500. The rep says it must have been a human error. I am also worried if this local dealer has mucked around with car since they have acquired it as the rep has been driving it as his daily and clocked another 2k kms.

Could you please guide me here? Is this car still considered as Porsche Approved?Should I still get a PPE through a dealership to verify? How can I directly verify with Porsche on the service history, warranty status and the works done on the car till date and the kms discrepancy between the book and the actual Odometer? 

Thank you kindly. 

Hi my understanding is that a Porsche extended warranty only transfers in a private sale situation or via a official Porsche centre.   
The warranty does not transfer if sold via an independent dealer. 
These cars values are highly dependent (as most) on good history and documents.  Without these you would be expecting to pay considerably less than current market. 

7 hours ago, TEGRITY said:

@The Bern Dog Experience and @Grimmy - Gents, I didn’t end up going with that car. All was well but something didn’t feel right for me.

so back on the market and have found another car with about 52k kms. 2015 convertible S. This is sold by a boutique / local dealer but the car has full Porsche service history and warranty until May 2024. The rep says, it’s technically a porsche approved car as it’s got full service history and warranty. He also said I don’t need to do a 111 check again as Porsche would have done it when they last serviced the car and extended the warranty for 2 more years in May 22. 

BUT, the service book shows the last service was indeed done in May 22 but the kms is mentioned as 57k. But the car has only done 52,500. The rep says it must have been a human error. I am also worried if this local dealer has mucked around with car since they have acquired it as the rep has been driving it as his daily and clocked another 2k kms.

Could you please guide me here? Is this car still considered as Porsche Approved?Should I still get a PPE through a dealership to verify? How can I directly verify with Porsche on the service history, warranty status and the works done on the car till date and the kms discrepancy between the book and the actual Odometer? 

Thank you kindly. 

If the car leaves possession of the original owner and goes through a 'boutique dealership' you will not get the Porsche Approved Warranty.  Sure, it was technically a Porsche approved car, but it won't have the Porsche Warranty with it.  I guess the exception to that would be if the car is on consignment and still registered in the private owners name.  Once the non Porsche dealer takes ownership of the car, the warranty isn't transferable.

Also, if you buy a car from an owner who has held the Porsche Approved Warranty in their name and the warranty has recently lapsed, only the original can reinstate a Porsche Approved Warranty after inspection and all issues rectified before transfer to the next owner.  Once the vehicle is transferred without warranty, it can't be renewed. 

Is my understanding anyways.

2 hours ago, WOKA said:

If the car leaves possession of the original owner and goes through a 'boutique dealership' you will not get the Porsche Approved Warranty.  Sure, it was technically a Porsche approved car, but it won't have the Porsche Warranty with it.  I guess the exception to that would be if the car is on consignment and still registered in the private owners name.  Once the non Porsche dealer takes ownership of the car, the warranty isn't transferable.

Also, if you buy a car from an owner who has held the Porsche Approved Warranty in their name and the warranty has recently lapsed, only the original can reinstate a Porsche Approved Warranty after inspection and all issues rectified before transfer to the next owner.  Once the vehicle is transferred without warranty, it can't be renewed. 

Thanks for that, appreciate it. Yeah read this on Porsche’s website as well. The car is currently with warranty and not lapsed, so that’s good. But, as you rightly said I will need to confirm if the car has been transferred to the dealer’s name or still under the owner’s name. The dealer rep said the guy was his close friend and hence he decided to sell the car through them, so there might be chance it’s not transferred yet.
I also read that it will cost me a little extra over the standard warranty price to get the inspection and warranty done if I had bought the car outside of Porsche dealer network. I am hoping to get PPI done through a Porsche dealership before I buy and will see if this boutique dealer can reduce the price for me to get warranty again and provided the car passes the inspection, which it should if it’s the real deal. Cheers!

5 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Hi my understanding is that a Porsche extended warranty only transfers in a private sale situation or via a official Porsche centre.   
The warranty does not transfer if sold via an independent dealer. 
These cars values are highly dependent (as most) on good history and documents.  Without these you would be expecting to pay considerably less than current market. 

Thanks, appreciate it! Will check with the dealer if that car has been transferred yet. If not, should be smooth sailing if PPI come clean or will renegotiate the price accordingly. Cheers!

On 16/07/2022 at 08:13, WOKA said:

@Grimmy and @WOKA - Thanks for your previous advice, came in very handy. The car is on consignment and will be directly transferred to my name if I go ahead. The rep also sent across the last two service invoices, all looks OK except… There is a job listed - “engine oil leak detected” and the “chain tensioner” has been replaced. This worries me as this issue is common on older 911s but not from 991s and beyond is my understanding. Do you guys know more on this? Thanks and sorry for being a selfish pest! Cheers.