SC brake issue

Simonk

I had a very enjoyable day at Winton on Friday in the SC hotrod but early on I noticed my brake pedal had gotten longer than usual. I didn't think much of it other than the heat probably got to the fluid a bit. The pedal stayed long for the rest of the day but braking performance was over all very good for stock. On the drive home I did feel like they were getting worse as I drove through Melbourne. I was planning on having a go at bleeding them, something I've never done but all the DIY vids make it look ok to tackle. But sitting in the car this afternoon checking its function, I'm not sure it's a simple bleed issue. With the engine off, there's good pressure and the pedal feels normal. With the engine on, the pedal moves far too easy and travels further than it should until it hits something that feels metallic. It's not the floor board and if I pushed harder, I could probably push passed whatever it's hitting. When I turn the engine back off, each time I pump the brake, this thing that it's hitting climbs back up the pedal travel until I can't feel it any more (after about 3 pumps). I'm imagining that at this point that whatever it is is moving with the pedal. Anyone got any ideas?

I had somewhat similar issues in my sc a few years ago.

After having the booster checked out and given the ok, I ended up changing the Master Clyinder out for a new one, this resolved the issue for me.

Check all the basics first, vacuum hose leeks to the booster, bleed the brakes..

8 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

This might sound silly - but those symptoms sound consistent with pads that have worn right down.  How's the pad thickness?

There’s about 5mm front and rear. I was thinking they’re about due for replacement but not urgently.

• 3 months later...