Surface rust under base of engine lid

Hi all, not sure if this is common or not? I'm guessing the paint has disappeared because of it being a high friction area with engine vibrations. 

As you can see some surface rust has developed under my engine lid, where the base touches the rubber strip above the rear deflector. 

It was not too bad until recently when I drove it in the rain to get serviced and it must have sat for a while with the accumulated water there making it worse. 

Is there a way to make it look a bit better by removing the rust without damaging the surrounding paint. Or would I be better off leaving it? Not too keen on sanding it. Was thinking more of a cleaner or something along those lines that won't damage the paint.

Thanks 

Screenshot_20221116-193731_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221116-193829_Gallery.jpg

20221116_194305.jpg

Yes, common area of scuffing but you have excelled yourself!

Suggest treating it with rust converter which will leave the bare metal a light gray colour and will delay further unsightly rusting.  I've found Bondall Rustbuster good, particularly if warmed and kept warmed and readily available at Bunnings and the like. It won't damage the paint.

Also suggest you check the rubber bumpers on the engine lid are correctly adjusted. My memory is that you can adjust their height by turning.

21 hours ago, Peter M said:

Also suggest you check the rubber bumpers on the engine lid are correctly adjusted. My memory is that you can adjust their height by turning.

Mine is pretty scuffed too. Seems to be the norm really. My lid does look like it's in line with the fenders when closed height wise. 

If you turn the rubbers on the lid and adjust it so the lid sits higher, it may not rub? The only thing then is that lid will be higher than fenders and look out of alignment. Catch22.. 

Curious to know if there's a fix, before mine gets any worse. 

On 17/11/2022 at 18:28, rminc said:

Mine is pretty scuffed too. Seems to be the norm really. My lid does look like it's in line with the fenders when closed height wise. 

If you turn the rubbers on the lid and adjust it so the lid sits higher, it may not rub? The only thing then is that lid will be higher than fenders and look out of alignment. Catch22.. 

Curious to know if there's a fix, before mine gets any worse. 

I adjusted mine so the lid to sits higher to avoid the base that's scuffed touching, but it doesn't look right. Sits to high. I think over time with engine vibrations it's just part of wear and tear unfortunately.