Gearbox (manual transmission) oil selection instead of Porsche unicorn oil

Alpha Dog

I'm looking to improve the shift feel in my 718S by changing the gearbox oil.  As I'm the 4th owner, the contents of the 'box is uncertain.  My local Porsche centre specify the genuine stuff (part number 000 043 305 48) as Mobil PTX 75W-90, but only sell it in 20 litre drums for $2k.  I cannot find a source of PTX in smaller containers in Australia, and overseas sources won't ship to Australia.   So... here is what I've found, which claims to be an alternate to PTX:

Redline 75W90 gear oil

Has anyone tried this in a G8220 box or similar?  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Alpha Dog said:

I'm looking to improve the shift feel in my 718S by changing the gearbox oil.  As I'm the 4th owner, the contents of the 'box is uncertain.  My local Porsche centre specify the genuine stuff (part number 000 043 305 48) as Mobil PTX 75W-90, but only sell it in 20 litre drums for $2k.  I cannot find a source of PTX in smaller containers in Australia, and overseas sources won't ship to Australia.   So... here is what I've found, which claims to be an alternate to PTX:

Redline 75W90 gear oil

Has anyone tried this in a G8220 box or similar?  Thanks.

I had the same problem trying to source PTX for my 997 C2S manual.

A few years ago, a friendly Porsche parts manager sold me about 3 liters of their approved oil. Tried again last year and was knocked back.

Ended up using Redline 75w 90. A quality oil suitable for my car.

Check their website for a suitable oil for your gearbox.

2 minutes ago, sjm said:

I had the same problem trying to source PTX for my 997 C2S manual.

A few years ago, a friendly Porsche parts manager sold me about 3 liters of their approved oil. Tried again last year and was knocked back.

Ended up using Redline 75w 90. A quality oil suitable for my car.

Check their website for a suitable oil for your gearbox.

Just checked the link you posted and it's suitable as an alternative to PTX.

Suitable replacement for:

Porsche N052911CO
Dodge/Jeep 4549636
GM 88862475
Subaru SOA635011
Agip 75W-90 SX
Agip SXA 75W-90
Mobil Mobilube 75W-90 SHC
Mobil Delvac 75W-90
Mobil Mobilube PTX 75W-90
Shell Spirax EP 90
Shell Transaxle Oil 75W-90
Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90

I just bought some Swepco 201 from the US with free delivery. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

They also sell the one you are after .. with free delivery.

Cheers ...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Red-Line-57905-75W90-Synthetic/dp/B000J3ASP0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=3LHOP5MKOCTTF&keywords=redline+75w90&qid=1690877322&sprefix=redline+75%2Caps%2C396&sr=8-2

• 1 month later...

Update: Changed the 'box oil.  Fairly easy job if you are a contortionist.  No tray or covers or struts to unbolt.

Definite small improvement, but still feeling uncomfortable 1>2 shifts esp when cold.  I have had the service advisor at the local dealership drive it and give it a "normal" verdict.  More importantly I have driven a 981 6 speed and the owner of that car drove mine.  Conclusion: it's normal enough - just get used to it and take the shifts 1>2 slowly.

Moving on to grills, dash cam and other fun. :)