981 Cayman GTS

Looking at getting my first Porsche soon and after a lot of research, this is the  car I am leaning towards.

Would be interested in thoughts about where the market is for these, what I should be looking for when looking at one, manual or auto and whether I just keep my eyes on carsales or if there are better places to look.

If one gets too difficult to source, then do I look at a Cayman S?

For those that have been watching the market for these for a while, have their prices dropped, been stable or risen?

Not interested in tracking the car

Thanks

Great choice. You should be able to pick up a good example for $125-$135k for a PDK and $150k for a manual (if you can find one). Prices are trending down like most sports cars. Will this continue and for how long? Who knows, it sounds like we’re hitting the peak of this tightening cycle and some banks are now predicting rate cuts in 2024. Try find one with the GTS interior pack, really brings up the interior a few notches and should help with resale.  

There's a White with Martini-liveried WOVR 981 Boxster GTS in Brisbane on Farcebook at the moment - asking about $94k so has a reasonable discount for WOVR status (probably should be a little more - say mid/high 80s).  It has allegedly had very little damage (broken windscreen & stonechipping) which caused the WOVR status.  I can't understand the WOVR status from the minimal level of damage.  If there was some info that it had been stolen & lightly damaged before recovery then that may be a bargain buy. 

Marketplace – 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS 981 | Facebook

26 minutes ago, flamingporsche said:

There's a White with Martini-liveried WOVR 981 Boxster GTS in Brisbane on Farcebook at the moment - asking about $94k so has a reasonable discount for WOVR status (probably should be a little more - say mid/high 80s).  It has allegedly had very little damage (broken windscreen & stonechipping) which caused the WOVR status.  I can't understand the WOVR status from the minimal level of damage.  If there was some info that it had been stolen & lightly damaged before recovery then that may be a bargain buy. 

Marketplace – 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS 981 | Facebook

Their is usually some heavy panel (STRUCTURAL) damage to obtain the WOVR. Windscreen and stone chips sounds a bit light on for that status .?

3 hours ago, tomo said:

Their is usually some heavy panel (STRUCTURAL) damage to obtain the WOVR. Windscreen and stone chips sounds a bit light on for that status .?

Agree 100%.  Would love to know the history how it ended up as a repairable write-off.

Have messaged seller - and received copy of PPSR and some further background (take that with a grain of salt...)

Apparently, previous owner has contacted seller after seeing ad:  said that was following a B-Double on highway and got hit by heaps of stones - chipped it a lot.  Has sent me photos and it has definitely been peppered - top of windscreen, doors, front bar, bonnet.

Seller said all he did was replace windscreen and has passed inspection for re-registering.  I'll try to copy in the PPSR image from phone in a sec.

IMG_7965.jpeg

1 hour ago, flamingporsche said:

Agree 100%.  Would love to know the history how it ended up as a repairable write-off.

Have messaged seller - and received copy of PPSR and some further background (take that with a grain of salt...)

Apparently, previous owner has contacted seller after seeing ad:  said that was following a B-Double on highway and got hit by heaps of stones - chipped it a lot.  Has sent me photos and it has definitely been peppered - top of windscreen, doors, front bar, bonnet.

Seller said all he did was replace windscreen and has passed inspection for re-registering.  I'll try to copy in the PPSR image from phone in a sec.

IMG_7965.jpeg

Yep the 2 windscreen pillers were replaced,  Plus a heavy panel drivers side and a heavy panel passinger side it must have been a bloody big stone to cause that damage. There is your structural componet. All referred  to as heavy panels so it could be bent, Just saying.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

She would be good to go then 😀

I wondered the same.  The seller's (a dealer) painter attended to most stonechips - you can find if going looking.  The auction house he bought from put PPF over the car too - as in OVER the stone chips 😨

3 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

Seller sent me receipts for work done - just a windscreen from RACQ at $385...

Edit: re-read the situation, I thought it was only the windscreen but the panels must have been done already by the time the current seller got the car

On 09/08/2023 at 21:51, SVR said:

Looking at getting my first Porsche soon and after a lot of research, this is the  car I am leaning towards.

Would be interested in thoughts about where the market is for these, what I should be looking for when looking at one, manual or auto and whether I just keep my eyes on carsales or if there are better places to look.

For those that have been watching the market for these for a while, have their prices dropped, been stable or risen?

Thanks

On 09/08/2023 at 21:51, SVR said:

Thanks

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-porsche-cayman-s-981-manual/SSE-AD-13850076/?pageSource=details

This car is worth a look