986 Remote Central Locking

lomas65

Hello, I am only a new member & this is my first post, we own a 2004 986 manual done 70000km. When we first purchased the car in March the key batteries were flat & the guy we bought it from said he just used the key to lock/unlock the door. I replaced the batteries in both keys & they both seem to work fine, sometimes. One day it will lock/unlock with the remote & other days it wont, does not seem to be any pattern to it, just totally random same goes for the front / rear bonnet butons on the key. The central lock button on the dash works fine as do the front / rear bonnet release levers on the RHS of drivers seat. Just wondering if antbody out there has had a similar experience.  Thanks,  Matthew...

Hi Mathew, firstly welcome aboard. I have two remote keys one gave up the ghost not long after I got the car on everything that opens an shuts on the car.

Tried the new battery thing but ..no good.

Then tried what had been the spare remote key, worked fine for a while bit now won't pop the front trunk. Back trunk is fine and opening and locking ok.

So may be a problem with them, I have persevered so far, but might be worth seeing " why is this so?"

I think there are aftermarket type remotes that maybe available, and from memory if you get original Porsche remotes done there is a lot of mucking about to get frequencies and they are very expensive.

Caver is our Boxster electronics man, I am sure he will come up with an option for you/us. Be interesting to see if anyone else has probs, although not too many 986 boxes on the forum.

Don't stay a stranger on the PFA,

Regards,

Niko

Thanks Niko....welcome to the forum Matthew!  How long do you leave the car between drives?  If it's more than 5 days between unlocking the car, the alarm goes into a sleep mode and you cannot open the car with the remote.  You must first use the key in the drivers door lock to wake up the alarm, then you can use the remote.  Have a look in the Driver's Manual, page 180. "Load switch-off after 5 days".

Cheers

David.

Oops...thanks David, I hate that when it is in the manual.....

I leave mine in the garage unlocked, and it is definitely normally more than 5 days before start ups, sometimes can be three weeks and a bit more.

I will look at page 180 and give it a try.

Make mental note to myself

Self...look in the manual before committing to Forum....you DH.

You must first use the key in the drivers door lock to wake up the alarm, then you can use the remote.  Have a look in the Driver's Manual, page 180. "Load switch-off after 5 days".

Cheers

David.

Cheers for that Caver,

I never knew that either, as like Niko I leave unlocked in garage as well.

Another usefull bit of info ive picked up from PFA.

Yep I am with you Lomas, been away for a while and car hadn't been started for a week or so.

Tried my original remote (which I retired a couple of years back because it wasn't doing what remotes are supposed to do)it gives off the red sending signal, but nothing happened, re opening boots or locking the doors. (car was left unlocked) Then tried it in the door lock, locked the car and unlocked it. Tried again...red signal emitting but nothing happening.

The key remote I am currently using works ok on everything but the front trunk still.(but this was after playing with the original remote beforehand!)

So definitely some sort of problem there...

Also For info...the details re the remote/5 days info is on page 14 in my owners manual.

Must have a look at the 986 Forum and see if anyone has some answers there. If I learn anything I will get back to this thread.

The only other thing though is, that it might be the car responders that are not working properly. Especially if nothing is working and the battery in the remote key has been replaced...Dunno really, I put it in the too hard basket when my original key went bung and have survived ok so far with the second remote key, apart from the front trunk (FRUNK?) use the manual switch. $350.00 for a new key can wait till nothing opens or locks by the remote.

FRUNK, I like it. Does that make the back trunk the 'BRUNK'? Or the boot, I think I like BRUNK! Anyway, both our keys work the same, erratically. Next time we go to the Gold Coast I will get P to look at it...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. OMG.

Yep....sorry but it sounds like the keys are the problem.  As a last resort, I fixed a misbehaving key for my Subaru some time ago.  I opened up the key and took out the circuit board, sprayed it with circuit board cleaner and scrubbed it lightly with a tooth brush.  It came back to life and has been working ever since.  You could use isopropyl alcohol or metho, just make sure the battery is out and that you dry it properly.

Have your keys been in a damp environment?  Sometimes, if enough gunk sticks to the circuit board and it gets damp, it can short out.

Good luck.

Thanks David, I will have a go at the remote key that does not work at all, I have nothing to lose there and see what happens. It stopped working not long after i got the car so PO may have had it in a damp enviroment.

Let me know how you go Ian....you could always bring the key up with you when you come up for the Scotch Tasting Event!!!!

Why you gonna dunk it in scotch? I don't think that'll help!

Some of the used cars I've owned have had keys that look like they've been thru a grater, dropped in a toilet and put thru a dishwasher!  Maybe it's just best to bite the bullet and get oneself a new key with a new used car! 

Archived