Removing Splash - Stone Guards

Hi, has anyone got any tips for removing my splash - stone guards? The stick on ones in front of the rear wheels, they are getting discoloured with age (only 6 years) and I would like to take them off. A bit concerened with things like different fading on paint underneath to the rest of the surrounding area and possible paint damage during removal. I don't think I would need a panel beater for such a seemingly small job? 

post-1169-0-36495100-1367799589_thumb.jp

Hair dryer , with luck they might peel off with no residue.

I did not have such luck! I used a new , flat plastic scraper and a rag soaked with tea tree (eucalyptus works also) oil. Used gloves.

With most of the glue gone , I then rubbed with more oil to remove the last traces.

I had to do this in 6 places to replace the stone guards on the red 944 - a colour known for "bleeding". It was not a problem.

Don't be shy!

Welcome to my nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

These can either come off very easily or be a curse.

Hopefully only 6 years of adhesion will be nicer to you than 18 years.

depending on how brittle the stone guard is will affect the process you use.

Option-1

Begin at the top corner and heat the area up with a hairdryer or heat gun. Don't melt it though.

If you can get a fingernail under the corner and the plastic stays together you will be able to pull the plastic at 90 degrees from the body and pull away the guard as you warm it.

Get the rest of the adhesive off with 3M-100 adhesive cleaner and a flat plastic scraper.

Option-2 For when the guard comes of in pieces about 1mm square!!!!!!!!!!

Heat it up with a heat gun until you see the plastic shrivel. 

Use the plastic scraper to peel the melted plastic and adhesive off.

Use copious amount of cleaner and a scraper to get the rest of the adhesive off.

Using option-2 it took me a total of about 6 hours to remove both sides on the 993.

Just finished the second side last night, only to discover 3 dents underneath!!!!!!!!!!!

after a lot of research I went for what our american cousins call an eraser wheel. I got mine from an aeroplane parts company someone linked to. Makes the job 10 times easier and is a lot safer for the paint. Still requires some patience but not hard.

I cleaned up a dirty faded one on the other side with some fine cut paint polish and it looks like new. I wish I had would have tried that on the one I removed as I wouldnt have taken it off if I had known

after a lot of research I went for what our american cousins call an eraser wheel. I got mine from an aeroplane parts company someone linked to. Makes the job 10 times easier and is a lot safer for the paint. Still requires some patience but not hard.

I cleaned up a dirty faded one on the other side with some fine cut paint polish and it looks like new. I wish I had would have tried that on the one I removed as I wouldnt have taken it off if I had known

So you just gave it a cut and polish? Sounds like a good place to start! Thanks

• 7 months later...

The eraser wheel came from aircraftspruce.com here

I have cleaned the stone guard a few times now and have decided to remove it as it just doesn't look good for very long.

When using the eraser wheel, it pays to mask off the area around the stone guard as the plastic coming off is hot and can restick to paint, otherwise it is a pretty slow but painless process

cheers

• 4 years later...

Archived