Dension Gateway 500 Lite

post-1208-0-13758500-1367961649_thumb.jpso, I'm getting a iltte bored of my stereo in the Cayman S (06).

It's the Bose surround version and no nav. But it has a cd changer in the front (which I did not even know existed till a mate showed me!)

I'd like to integrate ipod/usb for music and have found the Dension 500 seems to be the only real way to go. But there are a couple of options and the installation guides from the USA sites seem to differ a bit.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience? A search yielded nothing but I was hoping someone had.

I get the impression, I can unplug my cd changer, and put the Dension in its place. But one of the issues I currently have, is that when I play a CD from the changer, the sound quality is very scratchy... does that mean one of my optical connections is already bung?

http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/dension-gateway-500-gw51mo2-porsche-cayman-cayenne-ipod-iphone-interface-adaptor/car-accessories

You need to get the dual FOT version to retain the CD Changer I believe. They should also be able to hook you up with a local installer if needed.

Try contacting http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/   they are in Aus and were really helpful in advising me what I need to add BT and aux in + ipod on the 987.

There's also another company that provides the same technology called Mobridge. They have an office in Australia and also test their products in Aus.  They have their own website in Aus too.  Automotive Integration install their products according to their website.

Hope this helps

thanks for the input...

I got a bit gung ho and ordered the Dension 500 lite.

I'll update how it goes, but I "think" i can simply replace the cd changer with this unit and gain usb and ipod funtionality.

Cheers

I'll update how it goes, but I "think" i can simply replace the cd changer with this unit and gain usb and ipod funtionality.

Cheers

Im also looking at getting one of these, cant wait for your update & thoughts of the product.

Cheers,

N

SUCCESS!!!!!

only used a usb at this point and I can now get music to work fine.

Not sure how to use "random" and "repeat" as they are not showing up on the display yet....

Also I don't have the ipod cable at this point.... a job for another day.

I fitted a Dension 500BT last December to my car....it lasted 3 months before shorting and causing a small electrical smoke in the cabin. Terrible product IMO.

I replaced it with the Mobridge unit and it's fantastic, BT reception much stronger and no issues.

Quality costs money....but yes I agree it's very expensive.

yes you are paying for the development of the device to suit the Porsche vehicle.  With Dension you are paying for a mass product, tweaked to suit as many cars as dension can possibly get it to work with.

I also liked how Mobridge have an Australian presence too.

For anyone curious -  Automotive Integration quoted me $1100 fitted for the Mobridge to my 987 with PCM2.1. This includes the ipod control and BT function.

I can understand paying more to get exactly what you want... for me, the Dension seems satisfactory. It was only a few hundred from the usa, the installation ended up being dead easy and cost nothing. 

Seeing as I drive this car maybe once a week, I'm happy with my choice... 

Archived