924 A/C Urgent Help

Flash

Hi

I am busy with restoration of a 1979 924. Previous owner seems to have dismantled the a/c internal components and being new to these cars do not fully understand the way they operate. I have searched the web and have a Haynes manual which have both been unsuccessful with help.

I do not know what is missing from the system, my guess is that the evaporator has been removed as there is nothing below the dash however there is 2 pipes coming from the engine bay, 1 from the receiver drier and the other which has the end cut off i am assuming is the return flow to the compressor.

My confusion is that there is no separate switch that i can see for the a/c on the instrument panel. I may be wrong but think it possibly works of the blower controls?

Also all the ducting is missing so not sure what would go where. Does anyone have a pic of a Standard 1979  924 A/c configuration pic. Possibly showing where the controls will be if not using the standard blower controls. 

Does anyone know if the 924s a/c evaporator work as a replacement.

Also is it possible that the evaporator and additional fan may not be on all models. I know the Haynes manual suggests that from 1979 on wards the Nippodenso A/C had separate fan etc but how did the earlier models work, my ac may possibly be an after market however all the engine bay components look exactly like what is illustrated in the Haynes manual as well as may websites, it is only the interior components that I am not able to identify.  Please help as I wish to reassemble my dash soon and would like to have this fixed so don't have to redo.

Regards

Flash

Good luck , are you sure it's a factory system? It might be a bitzer. In any case if it's old you will have to replace bits.

Why is it urgent? The last thing on my mind down here , I'm cutting logs for winter!

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure where it is factory or not but cant figure out want is needed to repair as I do not see any ducting etc that would fit into the current blower assembly. It is highly likely that it may have been after market as there is no ac switches and believe it may have run of the blower controls. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket evaporator to a porsche 924 that can offer some assistance. I have tried a few ac installers locally but the units they carry seem to be too big to fit in the available space. I would also like it to work through the original ducting and not have some unsightly vets in the bottom of the passenger bay.

The urgency is that I do not want to have to remove the dash again after I have put it together.

Can someone send me a pick of the way it looks under the dash so I may be able to tell what is missing from my car?

PS: Tazzieman we need ac year round in Brissie:)

PS: Tazzieman we need ac year round in Brissie:)

A big fan blowing in your face ("cockpit convection") is all you need , plus keep moving. If you're stuck in traffic , well that's too bad , the world of classic motoring ia tough one! "We never had no a/c when I was a lad!"

Fixing a/c on a 924 might turn out to cost 1/5 of the car's value, but I guess it affects resale in a hot climate..

Mine came from Rockhampton via Nowra and WA. The heater doesn't work  :huh:

You right, cost of new after market is expensive. AC more for my wife than for me. I look cool in my ride even at 40 deg but alas will not convince my better half to join me if she thinks she is going to melt,

Probably going to drop the idea of getting the ac to work as my queries have not been successful. Thanks again for the input.

Archived