carrera 4 versus 2

philipk

I am looking at a purchasing a 996. I am looking at a carrera 4 but other people say a 2 is better? I know a 4 is marginally slower but I think 4 wheel drive will have its benifits!!Any thoughts from anyone?

This must be dependent on what you value and what you will use it for. Purists will argue that the steering feel is better on the C2 and that the handling is more responsive. Engineers might counter that the C4 will work better for the great majority of people, for most of the time.

I'd guess that most people would do a better time on a track in a C4, regardless of conditions. Really talented ones, however, will opt for the C2.

Pretty obviously, the C4 will also give you an additional degree of confidence on the road, particularly in adverse conditions. Plus, they seem to come at a discount to the C2, at least for 964 and 993 models.

• 4 months later...

This must be dependent on what you value and what you will use it for. Purists will argue that the steering feel is better on the C2 and that the handling is more responsive. Engineers might counter that the C4 will work better for the great majority of people, for most of the time.

I'd guess that most people would do a better time on a track in a C4, regardless of conditions. Really talented ones, however, will opt for the C2.

Pretty obviously, the C4 will also give you an additional degree of confidence on the road, particularly in adverse conditions. Plus, they seem to come at a discount to the C2, at least for 964 and 993 models.

I just purchased a 2000 C4 after having an SC for 10 years. The C4 is a heavier car but very sure footed. I wnet to the 4 rather than the 2 because of the confidence it has on the road. I am not going to track the car so the additional weight is not an issue. Hope this Helps

Keith

Simple maths guys...2 x 2 = 4...therefore the C4 is twice as good as the C2 :lol:

I reckon Rex's comments are pretty spot on. What I can add is that price discounts for the 964 & 993 might be explained by the 4WD technology used, especially as the 964C4 was Porsche's first go at 4WD for the "911". Also the track guys wouldn't like the additional weight of the 4WD system.

I drive both a 996TT & 997 GT2. I can push the 996TT closer to the limit with the benefit of AWD. I have pushed the GT2 a few times and have almost visited the forest on both occasions. I have far more confidence driving the AWD 996TT. The GT2 is a daunting ride at the limit.

• 1 year later...

Archived