Videographer's help needed

Been out of the game of videography and work platforms for a while and I'm a big PC fan mainly cause I hate Apple.

But I'm struggling to fault Apple systems when comparing to PC with regards to video editing.

So when it comes to Laptops I have no idea, can someone help me out and shed light on Apple or Window laptops for video editing.

Cheers

I would suggest anything with a decent intel i7 CPU, minimum 8gb of Ram and 2gb graphics card. I cant personally recommend any as I don't use a laptop, I have a desktop that is far from mobile but great for photo/video editing. What software are you using for your edits? Do you have an OS preference? Windows 7 or 8?

I use Sony Vegas on a quad core windows 7 laptop, even though I am an Apple certified professional. I like Vegas because it has a great feature called show me how that guides you through everything to get you going. It has drag and drop transitions, titling etc built in and also comes with DVD architect for creating DVDs with menus etc. Not expensive and easy to use and has native support for HD formats.

I would also suggest i7 processor and at least 8G ram with a decent video card, and ideally a quad core, although a dual core I7 will be adequate.

Sorry lads, just re-read my post I must have been fairly sh#t faced from my homebrew when I wrote this.

I'm looking for a laptop for a mates son who is a sponsered scooter thingo rider, and he videos himself and friends.

Anyway I love 7 and Vegas, have a system that my friend built with an i7 cpu, maxed out ram and I can't remember the graphics card but I can run 4 HD screens from it, its awesome and 10tera of hard drive space plus 4tera external.

Anyway the kid is really into his filming and his folks know nothing of computers and he has asked me to set him up but as I said I'm bias when it comes to this as I love PC's and he has other apple products so I'm unsure how to go as I know nothing about apple and its software.

Cheers for the input so far lads.

Well all Macs have iMovie built in, that's not a bad program, although it can have issues with some (older) cameras. If he shoots to SD card that is less of an issue, as they all have SD card slots now(well macbooks do but not 100% sure about iMacs). Many videographers used macs to run final cut pro but as that got dumbed down a version or so ago, it has become more like iMovie pro rather than the hardcore tool it was before.

Anyway if he is young he will cope with either  windows or apple and most software, so it probably comes more down to costs and PCs are cheaper on a bang for buck basis. Having said that most dual cores these days can be edited on but will take for ever to render, and so going for the best processor and video card combo, will get you the best results and speed up render process. I think Vegas is the go as it supports AVCHD natively and doesn't have to compressor or convert it.  It also has all the features you need and isn't expensive

peace

Cyberpunky

I'm a novice when it comes to home movie making but I guess your friend will be too. My first few home movies I made 5 years ago on a Windows XP machine using the included Windows Movie Maker. The movie turned out pretty cool for what was available. I now have a Windows 7 machine and Microsoft have pretty much destroyed Movie Maker. It's not really good for anything.

So I got on to my wife's Macbook pro and did a couple movies using iMovie. Fairly easy program to use and does most things you want for home movies. The only probelm with iMovie, and it's a big one, is that it destroys the quality of the footage, even in 1080, the output file is garbage, no matter what settings you use. The program seems to be primarily aimed at those who want to share their home movies on Facebook or Youtube. If you want to watch your movie on the TV at home, prepare to be very dissappointed.

I shelled out the $300 odd for Final Cut Pro X and I'm very happy with it. The layout is similar to iMovie so it's fairly easy to navigate. There is tones more functionality within the program and much more editing capability than iMovie. And the output movie quality is excellent.

If you've got the time, there are a few Youtube channels that have tutorials on various functions of Final Cut Pro X. Could be a good way for you to see how the program works.

Archived