PROJECT: Drive a GT2 / GT3RS at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, but in St Kilda!!!

Kerry

Comrades,

Recently my good friend Tony pointed out to me:

"There are Old racing car drivers, and there are Bold racing car drivers, but there are very few Old, Bold, racing car drivers!" (Cheers Dave! ;):D )

Considering myself as less of the former, and more of the latter, as far as I'm concerned, there are those of us who have driven the 'Ring, and the rest of us who are merely in training!

So, I'm looking for expressions of interest in the following -

Part A: The EVENT.

I have a studio in St Kilda with a nice big white wall, a data projector, a PS3 with appropriate games, steering wheel and pedal set... and I'm wondering whether anyone might be interested in coming over one night and having a bit of a laugh?! (Sorry interstate comrades, although there are cheap flights... ;) )

Here is an example of what we could expect to see...

You could come with your racing suit already on, or, a slab and a poised finger suitable for pointing out: "that was crap, my Mother could've ..." :D

however, more likely, a gaggle of guys/gals ready to have a go, and a laugh, (not to mention a beverage), and all with scant regard for Oldness or Boldness or Armco! ;):P:D

and then there is...

PART B: The COCKPIT.

I do have a driving seat type arrangement which looks like this... yes, no expense spared! Its now actually seen quite a few full-body-rolls, cartwheels, and T-bars into the armco, and is even more held together with an unreasonable amount of cable ties and gaffa. (Which, in order to get into, you might also need a Masters in Levitation and/or Yoga).

Cockpit.jpg

I'm wondering whether we might have any members locally that might be able to help with a bit of welding, and/or workshop, materials etc, and in true "I could've been a contender", weekend-warrior furvor, could help me fashion a more appropriate PFA cockpit?

This is not what I'm talking about....

- (Mk2 possibly?!)

This is...

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

In fact this might be too over-complicated, but it seems a good example of a sturdy base. I think we'll also need an old racing bucket (for the G's bro'!) so if anyone has one they're willing to part with at a cheap price, I might be interested in that as well (harness optional! :lol: ).

In conclusion...

Inaugural "PFA 'Ring-Meister 2010" - EVENT,

and/or the "I know what end of a welding stick gets really HOT!" - COCKPIT.

Any interest? :)

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the ANCAP rating on it? :P

"User beware!" B):D Thats why I need a new one so that OH&S don't come and get me! :rolleyes::)

So are you in for a spin on the Ring? (!)

Looks like you, me and Chris are the only ones brave enough.... ;)

Kerry

Hi Kerry

Just so happens I have an Oxy/Acetylene kit and Arc welder. Square section steel tubing is probably the best material to build an affordable high performance chasis prototype. Might have to do the math on the power to weight ratio and co-efficient of drag once the wind tunnel tests are complete, setting up the steering geometry might be a bit of a challenge :blink:

Problem is I dont have too much time but then again :)

You da man Frank!

Of course I know you mean "space frame" - like the 917 :P Maybe we can have a yabber about design at some stage, and then maybe we could schedule an AC Conference that you need to attend up in town one saturday afternoon...? ;)

Kerry

Thanks Chris - very kind!

Frank, what are you like at welding aluminium? :blink:

Tell me Chris, am I dreaming, or could this be a "Qubelock" type build. You can see from my drivers seat Mk1 that I used a bit of it, and I regularly use it in the studio for lighting etc... do you think that a super sturdy designed version could work for this project? Just a thought....

Looking forward to this project.

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

We have a range similar to Queblock called Connect-It. But I was actually thinking about Steel Tube also. We have a range of Electro gal steel tube which could be used also. Either way there is something I am sure we can help out with!

Cheers

C

Chris and Frank,

I might be letting you boys off the hook here, but I think that without letting it all get too complicated (and time consuming), I wonder whether I mightn't be better to look to make it out of "mini-scaffold" - sort of like below?

It means that if I get the measurements wrong, its not WELDED! ...and I can undo the bolts and re-jig...

What do you think?

Kerry

digimarcms.jpg

Hi Kerry,

Hope you had a good weekend.

Wow that looks fantastic. Who needs to go to the nurburgring if you had a setup like that!!

Now all I need you you to do is build a replic of the Porsche Museum in the lounge room and we are done!!

Will Anne-Mare agree to that?? :lol::lol:

Cheers

Chris

You know when someone calls something "Jerry Built", it means it might be a little dodgy in terms of construction?

My family like to call my various projects "Kerry Built", infering that I may have over-engineered the design a wee bit. ;)

Put it this way, if a Biblical flood hits St Kilda, feel free to come on over and get on the deck that I built, it was surely built to the same spec's of the Arc! B):D

Cockpit_frame.jpg

My idea of getting some mini-scaffolding and steel tubing similar to the pic above, and making the job easier, seems to be lost! :huh:

The funny thing is, without referring to the original pic, I thought that I was drawing up the same design! LOL!

Kerry

NB: Those are not supposed to be wheels (thank you AnneMaree), but stoppers. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi JJ,

I think you can see from the overwhelming interest in this topic that I had to beat them away with a stick.... not!

The last plan that you see above (and the set aside pipes etc) turned into a dolly and track system for a film my son was making, and after I had had my fix of aluminium construction, and the lack of interest (except for Wobbly, Chris and Frank), I went back to the old chair, with a new round of cable ties and gaffa! :)

Maybe we should organise a social meeting to do some karting, or something a bit more the common to the demographic? Maybe go for a Sunday drive?! :rolleyes::P:D

Anyhoo, I'll keep trying to reign in the 'Ring, and bring on GT5!!! ;)

Kerry

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice Russ!

Off to the outer 'burbs tonight for my regular monday nght relaxation and ring driving... Pretty sick of the fact that GT5 only has RUFs, I did take a long look at "project cars" recently, are you familiar?

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/new-video-trailer-kicks-off-busy-months-ahead/

Kerry

Archived