Customs valuations...thoughts

Hi all,

Ive just started the planning for private import of my 997 Targa 4S from Singapore.

Just a quick question to test some numbers my import agent is giving me.

They seem to be "estimating" the retail value of my car at AUD$140K which I think is sky high. From that they want to declare the customs value at $80k which is what duty/LCT/GST/stamp duty is based on (and remember that LCT is calculated AFTER the addition of GST and duty!)

Frankly I think their numbers are ridiculous and I estimate the retail is around $100-110K with a customs valuation around $60-65K.

Clearly this is much more desirable for me as the difference in valuation means about $25K difference in import costs.

Am I mad? Or are the agents overvaluing the car massively?

It's a Nov2006 build Targa4S Tip with 19,000kms.

To be safe get a valuation from your local Porsche dealer, on letterhead, they may want paying for it but its worth it.

This will give you some back up with the import agent company.

I'd place the value of your car, if you were to sell it locally to be in the 80-100k range, subject to full inspection and identity check.

If you can get them to agree on a Duty-payable valuation of $70-80k I'd be happy with that.

The problem is that you cannot get an Australian Landed valuation as the car is overseas, so , it would be a range valuation. What happens with a range valuation? customs take the high range value.

As I understand it, the agent is liable for its valuation so, if you don't agree you may risk them discarding the deal and asking you to go elsewhere.

I would be surprised if Porsche Australia ever sold a Targa 4S new.

You aren't mad, but, you may just have to pay the duty and be done with it.

Archived