Kokoda Trail

Hi all for those who I've already met you will know my other passion is Military Strategy / History and War Birds. Earlier this year the PFA catch up in Canberra was pretty magic when we stumbled across that WW1 photo collection and I have coming up later this year my annual trip to the WW2 battlefields in Europe - this year I am retracing the steps of "Easy Company" (Band of Brothers) from Normandy to Austria.

I am now planing a trip to do the Kokoda Trail early next year and it appears this can only be done by tour-understandably. My question here is has anyone here on PFA done any of these tours and can make recommendations? Seems to be a few out there and I would love some feedback.

Also anyone planing to do it next year (Nikko?)?

I was going to do it this year but had to pull out due to illness. I can recommend Kokoda spirit, obviously I didn't end up doing the walk but in my research they were the best I could find. http://www.kokodaspirit.com.au/

Also the insurance mob they recommend are great, was $140ish for the trip and I got a full refund when I cancelled.

I did Kokoda 4 years ago . An amazing experience.  My motive for going was initially from a fitness perspective, but got so much more out of the trip. learning about our wartime history in that part of the world really opened my eyes.It can be very confronting, There is nothing quite like having a narrative along the track explaining the battles,won and lost,   not to mention finding and holding artifacts along the trail, such as japanese and Australian diggers boots,shells or helmut ; or hearing while on the track,  one of the New Guinea local birds which had learned to mimmick the sound of machine gun fire. It made the hairs on my neck stand on end.  

Have a look at the website for Australian Kokoda tours. Mick O'Malley  runs an informative and professional tour.

Cant recommend  it highly enough.

I went with a mate. He and I had a good level of fitness as we had been doing bootcamps for 12 months. We got through it fairly well.

96 kms over 8 days. Doesn't sound much till you get there. The mountain range is like the blades on a saw. you are up and down the whole trek, some of the ascents/descents are extremely steep. Add rain, very high humidity, creek and river crossings and, in places,

mud you start to get some understanding of  how taxing it can be. Others on our trip struggled, but we all got through.

The less fit can opt to have their pack carried by a porter.  

We did sleep very well at the end of every day...............

Hi all for those who I've already met you will know my other passion is Military Strategy / History and War Birds. Earlier this year the PFA catch up in Canberra was pretty magic when we stumbled across that WW1 photo collection and I have coming up later this year my annual trip to the WW2 battlefields in Europe - this year I am retracing the steps of "Easy Company" (Band of Brothers) from Normandy to Austria.

Also anyone planing to do it next year (Nikko?)?

I envy you Doish, both the "Easy Company" (love those guys) tour and Kokoda would be sensational.

I have a dicky right knee and already been under the knife but has not come up to what I would have hoped,

I have trouble going up stairs at times, so I think the the mountains might be out of the question unfortunately.

But thanks for thinking of me there, I should have done it a few years back.

Polorot, what a great experience, I also envy you doing it.

08GarthandAndreawanakaN.jpg

Now your talking, what a great event.  

Garth Hogan who is a good mate of mine and lives on the lake at Wanaka (google him up) normally is an organiser and participant.  Photo is of his garage in Wanaka under his house.   He is/was part owner of the P50 Kittyhawk plus all his other toys there.

I went to Bonneville with Garth and his car and team a few years back.   Sensational  bloke, I'm sure he will be involved with the 2014 WBOW.   

Now that's a garage - lets chat next week. Need to book as early as possible as its on the worlds best calendar.

Sure Caver has a cave to explore or mountain to climb around there. I've always wanted to paraglide / fly a glider around there when I kept a log book as the scenery is just beautiful.

• 3 months later...

Archived