Key problem - Alarm

Ten Degrees

Hi all,

firstly the good news. After looking around for a few years (seriously for at least a couple), I finally purchased a 2003 Silver 996 on Saturday. See atttached! Happy days!!

Anyway, one of the keys seemed to have a flat battery (LED not working), so I changed it. LED then worked although not exactly the same as the other one. So last night I tried opening the car with it. It didnt work, so I put the key in the door lock and turned it. The alarm went off. I had to use the other key to stop it.

Any ideas on that one??

Thanks

Tim

post-395-0-97136200-1384113159_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

The 996 is very similar to the Boxster 986, so perhaps the following applies to your car?

Question....how long was it since you last opened the car?  If it's more than 5 days, the alarm goes into a sleep mode.  The key beeper won't wake it up again and it looks like the battery is flat, when in fact, it's the car that has shut down.  You have to put the key into the drivers door lock and turn it the opposite way to unlocking the door and holding it there for a couple of seconds.  That wakes up the alarm system which then allows the beeper to operate normally.  If you open the door by turning the key to unlock it and don't use the beeper, the alarm will sound when you open the door and you have to fumble with the key beeper to shut it down.

Have a look in the owners manual.  The operation is described there.

Don't know if the 996 operates the same way...but have a look and let me know.

Archived