WTB - 911 SC centre vent or parts of one

Caledonian

There are two types of these ducts, the older IB ones Pre 79/80 and the new ones.

the only replacement is the newer ones.

I completely rebuilt and fabricated plastic parts and retainers as I could not locate a replacement , period correct vent.

The earlier ones are the narrow horizintal blades as follows :(Forgive the image

6e5caa9bb907516dd4f20244caba9bbc-4.jpg?d

The later ones look like this :

centre+vent1323858812.jpg

I like the older ones!!

There are two types of these ducts, the older IB ones Pre 79/80 and the new ones.

the only replacement is the newer ones.

I completely rebuilt and fabricated plastic parts and retainers as I could not locate a replacement , period correct vent.

The earlier ones are the narrow horizintal blades as follows :

http://s418.photobucket.com/user/carrlane/media/79manual1.jpg.html

The later ones look like this :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/centre+vent1323858812.jpg

I like the older ones!!

Mine are the later type and apparently the one that Pelican sells does not have the slide for the flap to control the flow of air, don't know why maybe there was another version?

oh wow, thanks wasser - everything I've looked at in impact bumper has the later vents (so I thought mistakenly they were pretty rare when new)

do you mind if I ask how you went about making the parts for the earlier horizontal version?

oh wow, thanks wasser - everything I've looked at in impact bumper has the later vents (so I thought mistakenly they were pretty rare when new)

do you mind if I ask how you went about making the parts for the earlier horizontal version?

I had to carefully dismantle the vents (2 of) after I removed them from their casing in the dash.

I then went about looking as to why they had collapsed. Once I had ascertained the problem areas I used pieces of plastic that I had from another broken dash vent(I think it was from an old subaru I had) to fashion repair pieces and then glue them on.

The vents have small metal retainers and one of mine had gone AWOL, so I made another metal retainer from some stainless wire I had. The retainers look like a paper clip that has been half un-wound, so just carefully matching the other one I had was a doddle.

As these vents are 37 Years old it was prudent to be very careful and gentle and ensure that I was very much alone whilst doing it, any distraction could end in tears, or a random piece of plastic glued to your forehead.

The result is not perfect but it looks and works just fine.

Mine are the later type and apparently the one that Pelican sells does not have the slide for the flap to control the flow of air, don't know why maybe there was another version?

Its the same as the one in the second picture above. you can direct the air side to side and pivot up and down, just no little tabs on there! The later C 3.2(G50) ones were larger and more square and ran from 1987 - 1997 (ie C3.2 G50 Models - 993)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=911-571-067-03-M100&catalog_description=&A%252FC%2520Center%2520Vent%2520Console%252C%2520black%252C%2520%2539%2531%2531%2520%2528%2531%2539%2537%2537%252D%2538%2535%2529%2520

Archived