Questions about purchasing a grey import

Hi, I was hoping some of you could share your wisdom on the pitfalls of buying an imported 911 over an australian delivered one? Also, are RedBook valuations way off on Porsche's, because nothing I've seen for sale on carsales.com.au comes close to the redbook listed private sale price ranges.

I'm looking to get a 993 (turbo if I can stretch the budget far enough), and have noticed that the imported models come at a discount compared to the australian delivered models. Am I going to have trouble with parts or servicing? Any other problems with them?

Keep in mind, I'm not looking for a collectors item, rather a great car to drive. So if the lack-of-collectability is the only drawback for an import, then I won't mind.

I think most of the experienced guys here will likely tell you to buy on condition and for what meets your needs.  If you come across a grey import that meets the quality, $ criteria and your needs, there's no material reason to walk away from it. 

Nearly every P-Car mechanic has told me to steer clear of RHD conversions (ie. keeping it LHD is better) and if you accept that the market will respond better to an Australian delivered car (when you go to sell it) and don't have a problem with that, then it's probably ok...

my 952 is a grey import from england. I see no issue with it. Usually the interior options are different. but other than that. Everything is the same. Try look at it first because getting an import from a country that has snow, will have salt on the road which will rust some parts of the car. 

Ditto on Wasserkuhl & Pauly,

No problem with grey import provided you establish the history of use (or abuse) as you would with any other car.  Harsh climatic conditions like snow will likely have it exposed to corrosives so need to be sure it's been well maintained and you do a good inspection.

I think the only other issue for later models and AU compliance is modification of child restraint mounting points need to be altered.  Be sure any car has already passed compliance.

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE ORIGINAL IMPORT PAPERWORK

If they don't, you will have to obtain a copy from the importer to register it interstate. Considering most are long gone this can be a massive headache and a potentially insurmountable one.

Archived