Interstate Transfer Process.... Is this just a cynical cash collector for the State Government

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share my thoughts on the recent saga of getting my Boxster rego'd in NSW. I will admit to being a Pom and therefore slightly unused the process of NSW government but I cant help but feel the entire process of moving an Australian registered car from one state to another is rather troublesome and expensive, and really not at all beneficial for anyone else other than the tax collectors.

Plus after getting all my relevant paperwork, blue slips, green slips, putting my old plates on hold, queue in the RTA for an hour then to be told I need the old plates off the car.... back I go remove the plates, back to the RTA and then as a final let's take a few extra $$$$ I am told they wont rego the car today I have been selected for a random vehicle identification test and have to report to RTA Botnay Monday at 8.40am. No flexibility on the time, I have to take a day off work, and pay an additional $80 for the privilige!!!!!!.... Of course it was a total waste of time the car passed, but we already knew that anyway.

So after 2 days of full on effort I have finally got my car rego'd and my old 'euro style' black and white plates on the car which look very cool against the artic silver bodywork, plus credit where it's due Porsche centre Willoughby mounted them for me with some great covers that look very professional.... They really look after you there, great service. But still what a complete and utter hassle and expense dealing with the RTA. Next time I will think twice before buying a vehicle out of state...

As part of my morning RTA bureaucracy rant I am of course willing to accept any comments or abuse with regards to England and their recent poor performance in the first ashes test..... I am hoping for a much improved perforamcne this week :-)

I must admit that I have never heard of a 'random vehicle identification check'.  I am however not surprised one bit, sounds like a nice little earner (NSW Gov is poor).... Overall I have never found it to be an easy process in any state.  

Enjoy the car now it is all registered.   Depending on how old your Boxster is, it is only 12 months until you need to think about doing it again :D

I must admit that I have never heard of a 'random vehicle identification check'.  I am however not surprised one bit, sounds like a nice little earner (NSW Gov is poor).... Overall I have never found it to be an easy process in any state.  

Enjoy the car now it is all registered.   Depending on how old your Boxster is, it is only 12 months until you need to think about doing it again :D

Yes, thanks for your reply. I have been told by the guys at Porsche Willoughby that becasue my car has just been serviced I dont need to see them for a year so I can look forward to hopefully a year of trouble free driving. Nex stop the Great Ocean Road over the Christmas holiday... Cant wait.

Archived