Mobridge or Dension for 987/997 with PCM2.1?

Hi all...

I'm wanting to add bluetooth and either iPod or Aux input to my 987 with PCM 2.1. I've done so much research on this my head has been spinning around in circles like the kid in the exorcist!

So what I'm after is feedback from anyone on here with either of these units installed. Are you happy with your choice?  Did you install it yourself and if so was it easy to do? Does BT work well and if you have a convertible, can you speak with the roof down (I could speak at 100 km/hr in the SLK with the roof down).

I am on call for work, every second week... 26 weeks in total per year. It is inevitable that I get caught out when I can't pull over and need to speak on the phone to a colleague.

Thanks in advance...

I should also add that going to a after market head unit isn't an option I'm willing to consider. It'll ruin the look of my interior.

9289513113_c146d1fd50_n.jpg
DSCF0190 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

I had a Pioneer head unit installed into mine a few weeks ago. It looks pretty good, the fascia plate appears to be a genuine P unit, the installation kit came from eBay USA and the installer said it was the best kit anyone had ever provided him with, complete with instructions on how to remove the original. The only thing I'm not that happy with is that the old radio used to work until I actually removed the key from the ignition, the new one will only work when the ignition is turned on. Apart from that I have Bluetooth with the microphone installed on top of the steering column and it works fine with the top down at all speeds, satnav, DAB+, music from SD card etc.

And you are considering a 911? Funny thing that, I've been looking at them lately as well :)

Onpic_zps9c3f8057.jpg

I even managed to personalise the splash screen!

Splash_zps54a9b57e.jpg

Thats a great looking install tomoaus!

Yeh I think once you get bitten by the P bug - its pretty hard to resist wanting the most iconic of the brands offerings. And as those that have known me for the last 15 odd months know, I really struggled with knowing which car to buy.

it was inevitable for me to want what I didn't buy.  I'm THAT kind of person.

Your install looks pretty OEM I think - its a very good approach for those that know they'll keep their cars :P

I might do the dension thing still...  must see if my brother thinks he can fit it for me first.  We've made some changes at work which will see me being on call once every 3 weeks instead of every other week. So my need for BT has declined.  What I really would love is just aux-in so I can play music off my iphone!

I had a Pioneer head unit installed into mine a few weeks ago. It looks pretty good, the fascia plate appears to be a genuine P unit, the installation kit came from eBay USA and the installer said it was the best kit anyone had ever provided him with, complete with instructions on how to remove the original. The only thing I'm not that happy with is that the old radio used to work until I actually removed the key from the ignition, the new one will only work when the ignition is turned on. Apart from that I have Bluetooth with the microphone installed on top of the steering column and it works fine with the top down at all speeds, satnav, DAB+, music from SD card etc.

And you are considering a 911? Funny thing that, I've been looking at them lately as well :)

Onpic_zps9c3f8057.jpg

Splash_zps54a9b57e.jpg

Steve, that's a great looking install.  Professional finish.  Been considering this for my car but didn't want to tamper with originality and wasn't confident what what the end result might be.

Could you PM the installer details and approx cost?

Thanks mate.

No worries Wayne, see PM.

I can even have them put back the original if necessary. That way I can get my cd that is still in the old unit back at least....

Question -  does anyone know if I can get the steering wheel controls to integrate with the Pioneer HU above?

Your installer should have been able to run the power switch to accessories instead of ignition...

Some can even be turned on without the key if correctly set up.

I had a Pioneer head unit installed into mine a few weeks ago. It looks pretty good, the fascia plate appears to be a genuine P unit, the installation kit came from eBay USA and the installer said it was the best kit anyone had ever provided him with, complete with instructions on how to remove the original. The only thing I'm not that happy with is that the old radio used to work until I actually removed the key from the ignition, the new one will only work when the ignition is turned on. Apart from that I have Bluetooth with the microphone installed on top of the steering column and it works fine with the top down at all speeds, satnav, DAB+, music from SD card etc.

Onpic_zps9c3f8057.jpg

Splash_zps54a9b57e.jpg

If its working outside the CAN BUS loop then it must be direct powered to the power source. I looked into this for mine and preferred the untampered use of the PCM with the Mobridge.

However, i do see the appeal of modern ICE for some.

Mobridge is an all Aussie company too, so Mobridge FTW :)

One of my old car audio buddies is working with them atm and they are doing some really cutting edge stuff(think next generation amplifiers with BT and full digital tuning built in, canbus support etc) 

Very cool stuff IMO

I use the heated seats in "winter" to drive to work in the morning with the top down. Less than 5 km drive and usually around 15 degrees C air temp but it's bloody nice being that cosy. Gets a bit too hot at about the 3 minute mark so they get turned off.

I use the heated seats in "winter" to drive to work in the morning with the top down. Less than 5 km drive and usually around 15 degrees C air temp but it's bloody nice being that cosy. Gets a bit too hot at about the 3 minute mark so they get turned off.

Yes I have had them in the last 2 cars I owned and really enjoyed them!

It will have an off switch but it may not be intuitive as to how it works. Best bet is to DL the manual if you dont have it or have a look at it if you do. Sometimes off is just pressing volume button other times you hold souce button in for a few seconds etc but it will turn off some how

Archived