Sydney to Melbourne with new car

TwoHeadsTas

Afternoon all.  We're picking up my wife's 987 S from Autohaus Hamilton next Saturday (21st) , and after a night with relo's in Sydney (North Shore), will start the drive to Melbourne to get on the boat Tuesday morning for the trip back to Tassie.  Just pondering the route we will take to Melbourne - straight down the Hume or via the coast on the Princes highway.   Staying near Tullamarine Monday night to drop off Dianne to the plane for first flight out to Launceston, then me to the boat for the very boring day trip home :-(  - We therefore have pretty much 2 full days to get from Syd to Mel

Looking for current information on road conditions and roadworks.

cheers

Peter

Diannes987S_zps972b32a3.jpg

Congrats Peter on the purchase. Whilst I can't really give any points on the best way perhaps take the longest!  I am sure someone else will jump in and give you some options. Have a fantastic time whichever way you go.

Hume is pretty un-eventful and boring.  Not sure when you drove it last, but now that there's the by-pass near Aulbury/Wadonga it's even more boring! Take of 5-10km/h on the speedo when you cross the border into Vic because they love to reach into your wallet in the police-state!

Coming out of the North Shore - depends on what time you do it, but taking all the toll-roads are generally worth it. Grind down Military Road, down the harbour tunnel, follow signs to the airport/Wollongong and you'll see that they are almost done with the M5 upgrades around the M5/M7 intersection (still a few 80 zones).  After the M7 intersection it opens up to almost an American-sized highway!  But be prepared to hit the internet after your trip to pay all the tolls.

If you want to go down the coast, there's a few options.  It could be done in two days.

You could take the whole coast - a-la Wollongong, Eden, Lakes Entrance to Melbourne etc. Or you could go via Hume through Canberra/Cooma, Cann-River, Lakes Entrance to Melbourne.    Cooma to Cann-River has some nice rolling country-side. Both routes are mostly single-lane and during Christmas cretins dragging caravans are likely to dampen the fun! 

Either coastal route would probably be 13-14 hours of concentrated driving, with the Hume being 9-10 hours.

Last time we did the Hume was probably 25 years ago in an MGB,coming back from a Natmeet in Brisbane. We did Melbourne to Canberra via coast road going to a Natmeet in Canberra even before that so it's so long ago I can't remember what is was like!!!

We have some friends we could catch up in Druin so coming via coast has some attraction, but we could probably cut over from the Hume down that way too.

Still thinking.....

Peter

Tit, on 15 Dec 2013 - 6:23 PM, said:

Hume is pretty un-eventful and boring.  Not sure when you drove it last, but now that there's the by-pass near Aulbury/Wadonga it's even more boring! Take of 5-10km/h on the speedo when you cross the border into Vic because they love to reach into your wallet in the police-state!

Coming out of the North Shore - depends on what time you do it, but taking all the toll-roads are generally worth it. Grind down Military Road, down the harbour tunnel, follow signs to the airport/Wollongong and you'll see that they are almost done with the M5 upgrades around the M5/M7 intersection (still a few 80 zones).  After the M7 intersection it opens up to almost an American-sized highway!  But be prepared to hit the internet after your trip to pay all the tolls.

If you want to go down the coast, there's a few options.  It could be done in two days.

You could take the whole coast - a-la Wollongong, Eden, Lakes Entrance to Melbourne etc. Or you could go via Hume through Canberra/Cooma, Cann-River, Lakes Entrance to Melbourne.    Cooma to Cann-River has some nice rolling country-side. Both routes are mostly single-lane and during Christmas cretins dragging caravans are likely to dampen the fun! 

Either coastal route would probably be 13-14 hours of concentrated driving, with the Hume being 9-10 hours.

I'd add that either coast road will be a really nice drive. Could just be a bit frustrating in and around some of the towns.  Holiday season!  I doubt the Cooma/Cann-River section would be as busy though - not as many tourist attractions.  Holiday traffic will pick up around Lakes Entrance I reckon.

Too bad we're a day out! We're in Melbourne right now picking up a car too. Driving back via Cann-River/Cooma on Tuesday

+1 for the coast drive, I did it a couple of years back in my Alfa Spider (stayed overnight in Eden). Its got to be more fun than a freeway. Plus you have plenty of option to take the coastal drives or stay on the main Princess Highway. I guess it depends on how much time you have available.

I will be following you shortly, I am taking my 987 down from Sydney to drive the Great Ocean Road.... Cant Wait.

Whilst the the road is straight on the Hume,  a lot of the countryside is quite scenic!

If you have two days tho, go the long way and enjoy it.

Congrats Mr and Mrs Peter - I approve of the color combo, great looking car and so much nicer than that Teller Autos one!

:)

When I go up to Sydney I am usually forced to go there via Hume as I leave after work, but when I come back it's always via the coastal route. Much more stimulating which I find safer than the mind numbing hume, and you will be doing it in a Porsche so even more win

peace

Cyberpunky

Ah dammit what a nice car Peter, congratulations!  Now, here are my two cents re the route home..

Battle out of Sydney the best way you can then avoid the Hume any further than the Federal Highway turnoff to Canberra just south of Goulburn (don't miss it or next stop is Yass which will cost you near on an extra 150 km)

Head to Cooma on the Monaro highway.  

From Cooma head towards Nimmitabel then blast it down Brown mountain.  

Just after Bemboka you can take the Mogilla road turnoff or keep heading straight to Bega (both are nice enough routes and get you onto the Princes Highway).

Princes Highway all the way to Melbourne.  I haven't been that way for a few years but from Merimbula / Pambula / Eden through to Lakes Entrance was not a bad drive from memory.

I reckon it's the driving in Tassie that will be best fun so keep us updated.

Cheers,

Hugh

PS, Terrible colour combo

Archived