GoPro..

Pauly

I have one. The uses for one are endless once you start thinking creatively. I use it a lot to film the kids doing things, so far I have used it to film bike riding, snorkeling, swimming in the surf and the pool and today I went to a waterside park and snuck it past the staff and did some action cam down the watersides. I have even experimented with throwing a stick for the dog and then chasing along behind like a doggie cam, which is cool especially when he swims for it. I have a handlebar mount for the bike, a helmet mount which I intend to use for snowboarding and probably will get a suction cup mount for all things vehicle. I'm experimenting with making a wrist mount out of an old surfboard legrope, and I also want a plain old wrist strap.

Once you realise how good a toy they are you can use them for heaps of different things.  Particularly with how easy it easy to edit using standard windows software.  Things I use it for:

- I have a mount on my helmet and video sessions when I am go karting.  I am not brilliant with race lines and have a significant weight disadvantage on a go kart so this gives me the means to look at my race lines and figure out how my mates are always kicking my butt to hopefully reduce the amount by which my butt is handed to me most days.

- I have a mount on skiing helmet and video my runs so I can capture those runs where I get it all together (less and less of them unfortunately as I get older)

- Obviously recording laps at track days.  I tend to use Harry's lap timer and my IPhone for actual laps, so I tend to use the GOPRO for unusual shots, like mounted low just behind the front wheels so you can get action shots of your wheels turning and suspension moving.  Similarly mounting it backwards or right at the front of the car means you get to see angles you don't normally get to see and you can better analyse your technique.

- The new phones have WIFI capability so theoretically you could mount a camera on your car and have someone in the pits watching the video footage on their IPAD, they could then give you feedback via an open audio line or so forth.

- You can also run the camera to take photos every few seconds rather than video footage.  For runs through the country with your mates this is a good option as you can get some interesting shots of cars and landscapes etc, also if you drive fast probably better not to have video evidence if you get pulled over.

- I have mounted it onto my radio control cars and run it around, gives you some cool angles down low and is a very different sort of video footage.

I know some of the F1 teams run them in first practice (only session where video footage is allowed) so they can judge the effectiveness of their aero.

Archived