Petrol...What petrol???

D-banger

Wow, what a great first choice. No the feeling does not go away. Owning a Porsche becomes life absorbing. A black 993C4S I am envious - picture please. Drive it lots and wash it with Autoglym. Only use BP Ultra, Mobil 98 or Caltex 98 petrol and it will be more economical and purr along. Watch out for female jealousy.

Congratulations

Paul M

Interesting view on petrol Paul.

The guy I bought my P-Car from didn't use the car that regularly and he had a bad experience with Shell V-power after the car was left standing for while. He warned me to use anything but Shell.

Doug

Interesting discussion about Petrol. When I bought my 930 I got told by the guy servicing it at the time to only use Shell Optimax (now V power) I have pretty much stuck with this since. The only problem I did have at one stage was some moisture had got into the tank from sitting for too long and I had to run some injector cleaner through it but after driving along at 100km in 3rd for about 15 minutes it was fine and never any issue since.

I guess everyone will have an opinion on something like that. :blink:

Nice pictures from Calder. I was directing traffic at the dummy grid and missed all the action. Didnt realise cars lifted their front wheels going over the hump, awesome!!

Cheers

chris

There are a few bumps on that part of the track, some call it Mt Jane or is it mount jane? rolleyes.gif

Most of the road cars coped quite well there, the cars with harder suspension and greater approach speed tended to get more "air". If you look closely at some of the other shots you will see what I mean.

I spent some time with Taz & Jason at turn 2. All the marshalls did a great job.

Cheers

RED

1.The shelf life of petrol is 6 weeks.

2.I have been told by two experienced Porsche technicians never to use Shell in my 1970 911T as it leaves high levels of carbon deposit in the exhaust side of the heads. Shown the build up during my top end rebuild.

3. Sit outside a Caltex Refinery and watch the different brands come out. Caltex does the mixing for most brands in Australia.

4. Early 911s and I suggest most German cars are very petrol sensitive. Try a discount petrol and they are very unhappy. The higher the octane the better running, performance and economy. My T will run on 92 octane but sings on 98 and the difference through the Webers is immediate, it's a different car.

Mobil 98 ( now caltex 98) and BP Ultimate are the same petrol mix.

5. If you have to store or lay up your Porsche, see www.sta-bil.com.au they market a petrol stabilizer.

My 119c worth.

Cheers

Paul M

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info on the refining etc and the advice on petrol stabilizers. Really interesting discussion.

Also Jnr356 re the loss of octane rating. I guess I shouldn't keep the tank full given the amount of use my car gets.

Cheers

Chris

Hello All,

For what it's worth. My mechanic likes BP Ultimate as well. My car is not driven much. Nice long drive every couple of months. My mechanic suggested;

Get the car out every weekend if possible, even if only for half an hour to run engine.

During this time only keep around 1/4 of a tank and only add $20 at a time so fuel turns over

Fill up only before long drive to avoid fuel going stale in tank.

From what I'm reading above sounds like the right advice

Chris, keeping your tank full is a good idea as it lessens the chance of condensation, but not if it sits for a long time as the petrol goes off. I follow a similar routine to Andy. BP Ultimate seems to be the mechanics choice. Part of the trick is to fuel up at a reliable garage that cleans its filters regularly. And never fuel up when the tanker is there or has just left.

Cheers

Paul M

Archived