Wheel paint.. paints

Pauly

I tried posting this on a larger forum, that was a mistake. off topic after 2 posts. 

As some have found out, i'm re finishing my wheels... The more complicated way and i think i'll be going with paint for the finish i'm after.

There's a debate about powder coating and spray paint (not a can) And from reading some topics, It's the prep work that determines the quality and how long it'll last ect.

The cons about powder coating is that if it cracks/chips, it'll need to be re done again. and the finish isn't that great so i've heard.

I obviously want it to last long and look good. 

Colour, matte or satin black, or very dark grey. or possibly a matte version of hyper silver (un decided yet)

What type of paint would i use?

2k?

acrylic?

enamel?

urethane?

Other?

Thanks!

I was going to etch prime my cookie cutters then put a couple of coats of satin black on out of a spray can

but I never got round to it (but bought all the stuff) and used it to do my targa bar instead (which is aluminium). I sanded it, used pre-paint and then painted about 5 coats. i'm still trying to decide if I should clear coat it too (I was going to clear coat my wheels for some extra protection)

powder coating does seem like a good alternative though!

I tried posting this on a larger forum, that was a mistake. off topic after 2 posts. 

As some have found out, i'm re finishing my wheels... The more complicated way and i think i'll be going with paint for the finish i'm after.

There's a debate about powder coating and spray paint (not a can) And from reading some topics, It's the prep work that determines the quality and how long it'll last ect.

The cons about powder coating is that if it cracks/chips, it'll need to be re done again. and the finish isn't that great so i've heard.

I obviously want it to last long and look good. 

Colour, matte or satin black, or very dark grey. or possibly a matte version of hyper silver (un decided yet)

2k?

acrylic?

enamel?

urethane?

Other?

Thanks!

2k? once you buy all the materials it would be quite expensive and while not absolutely necessary, 2K does like to be baked - good finish and durable.

acrylic? - Rattle cans are relatively inexpensive and can give a good finish - Not that durable and may deteriorate quicker with the heat and brake dust.

enamel? Same as acrylic but better finish (gloss) and more durable.

urethane? If you mean a clear coat? Durable,high gloss but harder to touch up if damaged.

Other?  You can get them Plasti dipped in a carbon effect - would not last very long unless you got them clear coated afterwards.

​Powder coating would probably give you the finish and durability you're looking for and minor chips can be touched up with paint quite successfully

Good quality rattle can paint and etch primer would cost around $100 - powder coating should be around (based on 4 wheels) $400-$500 2k done at a body shop would be a bit more, however if you have done most of the prep work you might be able to negotiate a deal.

This was a semi- profesional opinion:) and i hope was of some help.

Cheers

Mike

P.S don't tell them they are off a Porsche or they will add 20% :)

2k? once you buy all the materials it would be quite expensive and while not absolutely necessary, 2K does like to be baked - good finish and durable.

acrylic? - Rattle cans are relatively inexpensive and can give a good finish - Not that durable and may deteriorate quicker with the heat and brake dust.

enamel? Same as acrylic but better finish (gloss) and more durable.

urethane? If you mean a clear coat? Durable,high gloss but harder to touch up if damaged.

Other?  You can get them Plasti dipped in a carbon effect - would not last very long unless you got them clear coated afterwards.

​Powder coating would probably give you the finish and durability you're looking for and minor chips can be touched up with paint quite successfully

Good quality rattle can paint and etch primer would cost around $100 - powder coating should be around (based on 4 wheels) $400-$500 2k done at a body shop would be a bit more, however if you have done most of the prep work you might be able to negotiate a deal.

This was a semi- profesional opinion:) and i hope was of some help.

Cheers

Mike

P.S don't tell them they are off a Porsche or they will add 20% :)

Perfect answer! 

thanks a lot

Hey Pauly,

From what I understand and have read powder coating is a better option overall. I have purchased powder coated calipers (Brembo) and am in the process of getting the fronts done for my car as well. Not exactly cheap at $150 per caliper so I expect that rims will be a lot more expensive but at the end of the day I think you will find that the finish will be alot better and more durable. It's also a matter of shopping around to see who can help you out the best. I also agree with Mike, don't tell em it's a Porsche, the price seems to get a liitle higher then. Good luck whichever way you go as they are nice rims and are going to look great.

Dean

Archived