Help in purchase please!

raafrebel

Hi,

Ive posted here before stating that im new to porsche.

Im pretty well ready to buy one.

Here is my questions, I have a budget of around 5- 60 k. I have been looking at buying a genuine 930. I can afford one at the lower end of the market, and i would assume that those cars would need a liitle attention to bring up to my standard, ( im pretty fussy!)

Basicly i want a fast porsche but in the older 011 shape. thats why im opting for a turbo powered one.

I have seen genuine aussie deliverd 930 for 60k which seems to be in pretty good shape with about 135k on the clock. been looked after pretty well buy the discription the guy gave me

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-930-1980/SSE-AD-2419103/?Cr=12&sdmvc=1

genuine car with no mods,

on the other end i have seen a 964 RS replica with genuine matching numbers 930 engine and gearbox.

This guy has built this car to a pretty high spec

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-930-1988/SSE-AD-2465716/?Cr=15&sdmvc=1

performance inhanced with lots of extras, and around 450 hp , weighs under 1000kg. looks like this guy has tipped a lot o cash into it.

Im usually the type who preffers factory standard cars with no mods, but i LOVE performance !!

I drove a 996 GT3 replica last weeken that had an after market turbo fitted, but didnt know too much about the cars and would prefer the older shape.

Im sure both cars would be great, but im stumped into what to buy as im new to these awsome cars

I would like some opinion on what would be a better option as far as tracking the car, showing the car at shows, and future resale value.

as im new to these cars, (ask me anything about a corvette and i have the answers!!) and not quite sure what to buy

Do porsche people like standard or do they like modified?? .

I am so exited to buy a porsche , I just dont want to rush in not knowing too much about them

They both seem to be in very good condition.

any opinions either way would be greatly appreciated

dan

Hey Dan,

I can feel your excitement whilst reading you post  :)

You raise a lot of points for discussion, everyone will have their own opinion but firstly I would say that its understandable that you would like HP coming from Vetts etc. but as I am sure you have discovered Porsche's are a little bit different  :rolleyes:. They tend to be more of a 'driver' focused car and as a result may not appear fast on paper but its when you hit the bends you get to feel what they are about. So in saying that, I would recommend you drive a few before you chase a model/type based purely on performance stats. I also say this as I think you will have a difficult time getting anything decent in a 930 for 60k................but that's just my opinion.  <_<

In relation to tracking a car - it needs to be super reliable and strong. 60k on a 930 that is both those things is a tall order IMO.

Showing in shows - anything goes, join a club, go to meets and even meet a few like minded people for breakfast! :D 

Future resale value - The model, country of delivery, car history make the bulk of the value. An honest, Aus delivered 930 that has been well looked after will fetch more than a franken Porsche 930 that has been modified as this narrows the market (to people who are prepared to pay for what maybe tasteful/distasteful mods). The second car above is a good example, hard to get back what you can spend modifying.

Honestly, for 60k I would be looking into more than just 930's - it would pay to talk to 930 owners and ask them what its worth to maintain and look after one (especially one that is being tracked). The 911 range is so diverse, really hard to say where or what you should be looking at but from the brief description above I feel that you may be getting swayed by HP as opposed to what it really feels like to own or drive these cars - they have a lot to offer so be sure to get out there and check as many out as you can!  :)

Dan,

Your enthusiasm is great, and I know you will love it when you find it.....from my perspective I'd go for originality where possible , true to year, model etc; but then I don't want to track my car every week.

Maybe get along to a Porsche club show or day of some sort ( all listed on their state web site) and chat to,people. Walk up to a 930 and have a chat with the owner.

Having had a few other cars in the past, one thing I can say from experience is that People that own P-cars, love to talk about them.

Good luck with the hunt for your next baby !!

Cheers

Peter

Dan

the OZ crowd when it comes to value/resale (which IMO is more about ease/quickness of sale) for their P cars have tended to be more fickle with the majority erring for -  orig, no mod or easy to take back to OEM mods over LHD, converted or in the example you show Martins car. Which by the way is a corker. Im sure TK or some other local lads may chime in.

Though I have noticed a softening and what 18-24  months ago would have been fashion faux pas is now been kindly reconsidered including 912's :) & franken911's. Alot to do I fear with the rising prices of the early cars and some of the other variants such as the 930's. Or maybe just a more diverse buyer these days?

I can't help much on what 930 you should or shouldn't buy as i m sure any of the breed would give you a big grin. But like previous advice look at a range of cars and do the  thing you have obviously done with Corvettes, acquire the knowledge and nothing beats hanging out with some locals who will give you a drive.

enjoy acquiring the knowledge

Archived