Clunky Downshift on Tiptronic Gearbox

mockney999

Hello to the 'Mid Engined' Crew,

Can I ask a quick question?. I have noticed (on occasion) when going quite slowly the auto box when manually shifting from 3rd to 2nd sometimes really clunks into gear, to the point that you can feel the car actually lurch forward... not smooth at all.

I have noticed for example on a downhill gradient it seems to happen more often.

Is this common or should I be concerned?.

Thanks

I've driven a couple of 987's with PDK & experienced the "clunk" but found it only usually happened when I was off the throttle? I think it's an early PDK thing but I'm not an expert.

I hope so, dont want any expensive gearbox repair bills coming my way :-)

Hello to the 'Mid Engined' Crew,

Can I ask a quick question?. I have noticed (on occasion) when going quite slowly the auto box when manually shifting from 3rd to 2nd sometimes really clunks into gear, to the point that you can feel the car actually lurch forward... not smooth at all.

I have noticed for example on a downhill gradient it seems to happen more often.

Is this common or should I be concerned?.

Thanks

Mockney999 is your car a semi auto or a PDK? If its the older Semi Auto gear box then it could be a similar setup to the 993 where the semi auto had a torque converter which would make a large clunk noise going down the gears. I could be wrong with the 987.1 setup but I suspect this is what you are experiencing. If its a 987.2 then you have a PDK and I have no idea :)

Mine does it too and has done for a long time. I had my mechanic look into it and they couldnt find anything so I continue to drive it as it is. 

My pet hate of the 993 auto Chris, as much as I love(d) the 993 I had, I hated the transmission equally for the setup.......

A mate had a 993 way back, over 10 years ago and when driving it back then, a much younger car I had the same experience.

It made that much of an impression on me that it is the only memory I have, ruined the experience.

Conversely when behind the wheel of Steve P's manual 993 I always think what a great bit of kit it is and what a pleasure to drive.

To me it just changes the whole character and experience of the model.

Sorry to say it but that clunking business is a real hard off for me.

I would guess there is nothing wrong it is just the way they are but maybe someone who knows what they are talking about like jnr356 could way in and give their more knowledgeable opinion.

Dave

Mockney999 is your car a semi auto or a PDK? If its the older Semi Auto gear box then it could be a similar setup to the 993 where the semi auto had a torque converter which would make a large clunk noise going down the gears. I could be wrong with the 987.1 setup but I suspect this is what you are experiencing. If its a 987.2 then you have a PDK and I have no idea :)

Hi Mate,

Yes, mine is the 987.1 so its the semi auto gearbox (not PDK). Honestly it doesnt put me off the ride and it doesnt happen all the time (although its quite annoying when it does especially if I have a pssenger in the car), But I am just pleased to hear that its more likley to be a characteristic of the gearbox and mine is not about to explode...

The advantage of being a member here, some great knoweldge and advice. Thanks

Archived