964 external bonnet release ?

nick964

Hi Guys,

slight problem with my new toy…  I locked the doors then disconnected the battery and shut the bonnet and now i can't open the doors to open the bonnet and reconnect the battery !  

thought i would be able to manually unlock the doors with key like i do with my 928 but no go.

I've read that there is a hood release cable in the front wheel well but not sure if this is only for later model 964 (mine is a 1990)

If anyone can shed some light based on experience that would be great

thanks

Nick

thanks, guys.  my mechanic (don roe) not sure jumping the starter motor will work as the battery earth is currently disconnected.

has anyone use porsche roadside assist to unlock a car?  i rang them up and they said they should be able to get the doors open by going in through the keyhole.  

thanks, guys.  my mechanic (don roe) not sure jumping the starter motor will work as the battery earth is currently disconnected.

Ah, that's the beauty of this approach, it doesn't matter as you are temporarily replacing the normal battery. As long as you haven't taken the positive lead off the car battery AND then have shorted that connection against the car body of course, connect the positive alligator clip from say your battery charger to the normally "hot" positive terminal on your starter solenoid and the negative clip to any metal part such as the transmission finning and you'll be able to temporarily powered up enough to work the central locking.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL!

Gavin,

Nick's dilemma actually inspired me to go and actually locate the emergency bonnet opening lanyard on my 993 because I can't imagine my battery will go flat where I have access to either a jack or a battery charger like he did! 

Appreciate your kind thoughts though! :-)

Archived