Suspension advice - 964

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about my suspension.  Currently, I have Bilstein shocks on my car.    The previous owner had 17" wheels/tyres on the car and I assume that he installed the Bilstein's on there to accommodate those.

Now that I have put the 16" original wheels back on, the front looks stupidly high (the gap between the top of the wheel and the guard).

I have had a look at the Bilstein's and they are adjusted as low as they can go.   Just for the exercise, i wound them fully the other way and the car went up about another inch - so of course, wound them back down again.

I would like to lower this 'gap' and it is here that I am a little stuck.

What would be the best way to approach this?  I don't and never will do track work - the car is just a semi-daily driver - driven mostly at 100+ Kmh on Country roads.  

thanks !

Guest hepkat63

could be Tit... not sure, but really hate the way it sits up front !  Geez, in the old days, we'd just hook the spring out, cut a loop off and put it back !  Bit rough for a P car though :(

Guest hepkat63

Now, have found out that the front end is different in 1989-1990 964 compared to 1991-1994 964 so if I'm looking for shocks, I need to be careful! The long learning curve road continues!

The front shocks are the same, it's the rears that changed. IIRC, it was to accommodate some part of the roof mechanism when the cabriolet body style was first introduced.

The optimal set-up for street driving seems to be the KW V1s, although I can't get past the terrible purple and yellow!

Guest hepkat63

Well, after all my research, I am going with the KW v1   -  will shoot up some photos when they arrive and I do the install.

I've got kws on the mini and a non-stainless version on the VW (STs). If youre in Canberra anytime soon you're welcome to see what they are like.

KW makes a beautiful product...

Archived