Car covers

Chris-p

Hi guys,

Just curious, what does everyone think of car covers? I cover my car with flannelette sheets and then have a heavy all weather cover on top, but I am not sure if this is such a good idea. I have noticed quite a few small scratches and wonder whether it's worth covering up or just letting the car get dusty and washing it off which I do anyway?

Anybody have an opinion?

Cheers

Chris

Hi guys,

Just curious, what does everyone think of car covers? I cover my car with flannelette sheets and then have a heavy all weather cover on top, but I am not sure if this is such a good idea. I have noticed quite a few small scratches and wonder whether it's worth covering up or just letting the car get dusty and washing it off which I do anyway?

Anybody have an opinion?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

I use an approved Porsche cover I purchased at Porsche Melbourne.....it does a great job at protecting but not scratching. Michael Bailey approves, and he is the 'guru'.....

See you next month,

Regards

David

Hi Chris,

I purchased one through an add in Unique Cars Magazine about 5 years ago. Its fitted to my car although its not stocking tight like the ones you can buy through PCM. I am happy with it. I think it probably does scratch the car a bit if both the cover and car are not super clean, but saying that my car is black, so it scratches even when i just look at it !!!

Regards

Danny

Thanks David and Danny for the advice. I think I will have to talk to PCM and see about getting a geniune fitted cover for it as i do think what I have currently is doing more harm than good.

Thanks Guys.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

You can get indoor covers that are a soft stretchy material.

I am not sure you need a heavy outdoor cover for a car kept in a garage since all you want to do is keep the dust off.

Me, I don't use anything. After a few weeks being parked up you can see a light dusting on the windows...though I guess your black probably shows off the dust more.

Doug

Hi Doug,

thanks for comments. yes i think I have probably gone overkill with the heavy cover, plus it is a tad big which makes it flop around. We seem to be in a very dusty area as I actually have to wash the cover regularly becuase of the dust build up on it. I havent had the cover on for the past few weeks and there is quite a build up at present.

Think I will take David's advice and talk to PCM about a fitted cover for it.

Cheers

Chris

Everyone is talking scratches here but no one is mentioning condensation etc.

I never cover a car particularly taking into consideration where I live in the Dandenongs.

I have always believed that it is pretty easy to just give the car a run over before taking it out on a run.

A lot of people wash their cars when they come home and then put them into the garage and cover them up. This is really a no no as far as I am concerned. Never put away a car wet unless you have to.

Only my opinion though, we all have different theories.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice, everyones opinion is highly valued and appreciated.

I am leaning towards your advice actually. I have left the car uncovered since the club track day at Bryant park hill climb . Has a layer of dust on it which I hate but as you say it can be washed off before I take it out.

Thanks once again everyone, much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...

The first rule of thumb is not to cover a wet or a dirty car. If the car is under cover (enclosed rather than carport) then a lightweight dust cover will normally do the job. I have a leight weight silk cover which is just for dust and is only on the car when it is clean and will be sitting for a known period of time.

Having said all that my car is 23 yo and scratches etc are part of the character that comes with an aging and aged car. I don't search for new scratches anymore, rather notice them when I give her a clean.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got my statesman international back from the panel beaters with a brand new spray job. The colour is raven so it’s a very dark colour made up of blue, purple, black metallic. I asked the questions to keep it looking this way for as long as possible and the reply was......Don’t cover the car because dust is most likely grit which is generally hard, therefore if the grit is dragged across a softer surface like paint, it will scratch. Always garage. Instead give the car a good hose down and wash it with a micro fibre mitt or rag before you head out if you can. Do not use the same mitt or rag on the wheels and tyres, instead use a sponge and do them last. Polish every 2 to 3 months with a good quality polish like maguiers gold class and buff the polish with micro fibre polishing cloth. It will remain the same. Until some parasite keys it.

post-321-129462196766_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I had this colour on my VT Commodore. Had it treated with a paint sealant called "Ming" at Ming Automotive in Fyshwick.ACT. Not sure if you can get it where you are, but with a weekly hand wash with AutoGlym Body Shampoo and occasional HAND polish (Autoglym again) ,it stayed like new for the five years I had the car. Open carport in Canberra too! Shoot any cat within 50 metres ( sorry cat lovers, I'm a dog person) . Park it where you can see it.

Cheers

Paul M

Archived