IMS guardian

BOXXXA

acid_rider, yes - once it has reached that point, the entire engine is at risk, as particles will already have made their way into the engine. This is the issue in the first place - the bearings are under too much load / not enough lubrication and so start to disintegrate. For cars that were under warranty Porsche did a lot of complete replacements globally. A full engine rebuild is the other option.

thanks,

worst case scenario - what is the price of full engine rebuild at Porsche authorized dealer using Porsche parts, approximately (in Australia)?

10K? 15K? 20K? 25K? more????

Some folks in this forum must have had it done, even if under warranty, to give us all some sort of cost indication....

I have been told a complete engine rebuild for a 986S Boxster could cost anything up to 22k. I guess it depends on who does the rebuild for you, but in my guestimation it would start at 15k in best case scenario up to the 22k, in the worst scenario.

There are 2nd hand engines around but would you get one of those and hope for a "good" one. Plus that won't help when/if you ever sell the car.

IMHO

replace the IMS with one of the recommended replacements, at the earliest you can get it done, save the sleepless nights and although it "probably" won't happen to you.....unfortunately the facts are it just might happen to you.

Treat the issue like an insurance policy. Get it replaced, problem 99% solved. Plus will help when/if you ever sell the car.

As I said it is only my humble opinion

thanks,

worst case scenario - what is the price of full engine rebuild at Porsche authorized dealer using Porsche parts, approximately (in Australia)?

10K? 15K? 20K? 25K? more????

Some folks in this forum must have had it done, even if under warranty, to give us all some sort of cost indication....

I'm pretty sure Porsche dealers won't rebuild an engine. They'll sell you a new one for $40k though

Every 986 potential buyer should factor IMS bearing replacement into part of their budgeting. Plenty of people in the US, buy cars and flatbed them to their P mechanic to have the bearing done before driving their new car.

I had a good chat to Ben at Weltmeister when I dropped off my 987 to have the PPI done for Andrew. We chatted about the 986 and he gave them a really good wrap.  Said that other than the IMS, they are a solid car.. only issue being that as the suspension components age they can get a bit noisy/creaky etc  But they rarely see big issues with these cars - other than IMS.

It's a no-brainer - do the bearing, drive off and enjoy the car.  They are a cracker of a car. Almost as nice as a supercharged MINI :P  

thanks all.

ok, $40K for a brand new engine from Porsche dealer or $22K for full rebuild from non-Porsche dealer.

I am sufficiently afraid/put off now.

so how much should I budget for IMS replacement job on a Porsche 911 model 996 or 997, with automatic transmission?

where in Melbourne should I take it to have it done properly?

Lots of reputable places will do it, prepare for about $2300.00 or for the very latest replacement, a tad more, Amanda can give you a fair idea on that bearing replacement.

Maybe decide who is going to be looking after your car and talk to them about the job.

I can give you details of my job if you PM me.

thanks all.

ok, $40K for a brand new engine from Porsche dealer or $22K for full rebuild from non-Porsche dealer.

I am sufficiently afraid/put off now.

so how much should I budget for IMS replacement job on a Porsche 911 model 996 or 997, with automatic transmission?

where in Melbourne should I take it to have it done properly?

Last August 2013 I paid $3500 to have the IMS Solution fitted to a 987 5 spd manual Boxster.  The Auto will cost more I think - how much only the mechanic can tell you.

Weltmeister did mine - at the time, they were one of the first shops installing the IMS Solution from LN Engineering. I strongly suggest you Google this and watch the installation video, it will help you understand what you are paying for. When I did mine - this was the only permanent solution offered to deal with IMS bearing failure.

Nix had his 986 Boxster S manual done not long ago. I'm not sure who did his, but I'm sure he'll give up that info if you ask him.

Now remember, the earliest 997 you get the more likely you can have this done to the car. Sometime in 2006 the bearing was changed to a non-serviceable one that can't be replaced.

This all sounds very daunting I know BUT don't let it put you off getting one of these fantastic cars. Do your homework now and buy the best example you can. Unfortunately I had to sell my car BUT it had absolutely nothing to do with the car and everything to do with my own personal circumstances.

Archived