Real leather vs I can't believe it's not leather

Team

I have been looking at photos of 2.7L series cars and SC cars and trying to work out if these interiors were commonly real leather or leatherette (vinyl). My mind says they are probably leatherette but heart wants to believe its really leather.

What is the most common format. Other than touch or a cigarette lighter, is there an easy way to tell?

Team

I have been looking at photos of 2.7L series cars and SC cars and trying to work out if these interiors were commonly real leather or leatherette (vinyl). My mind says they are probably leatherette but heart wants to believe its really leather.

What is the most common format. Other than touch or a cigarette lighter, is there an easy way to tell?

Leather falls apart more readily! Dashes are a giveaway. Scratch and smell can work - if there's no-one looking. Otherwise you might get arrested.

The owner should be able to tell you the list of original specifications (codes). If he/she can't , he/she is not a real enthusiast!

I am a motor trimming so i can tell you first hand after pulling apart interiors of many porsches.

late 70's early 80's 911's did come with a lot of different options when it came to the interior, and some had cloth of some form of material, some were All vinyl or a combination of vinyl and material, some were full leather faces but with vinyl borders and on a very rare chance full leather.

How can you tell between leather and vinyl? well for me i can tell pretty much instantly when i see a car in the flesh but it's hard to explain without showing you, normally though, vinyl is a little more shiney, and when you do feel it vinyl it's normally more sticky, and if you pick up the vinyl/leather with two fingers and rub the backs of the leather/vinyl together and you feel it is a bit bumpy then its vinyl, if its smooth it is normally leather, although i have seen companies taking the backing off the vinyl lately and therefor you wouldnt get that bumpy feel.

if it's a dash or something on the other hand thats glued down the you have to go off how glossy it is and how sticky it is and ask yourself if leather can actually be molded to that particular panel without sew lines somewhere, vinyl can be heated up and be molded around nearly any shape whereas leather can be heated up a little and for a small amount of time does have a little more movement but wont go around  deep corners very easily without sewing.

P.S sticky seats can also mean people have been getting friendly on them.

Archived