Can you delete the impact bumpers ( black front and rear) from an early Carrera

Steve88

Just wondering if you can delete those impact bumpers from the front and rear. I've seen a few early Carreras with whale tails and they don't have the black small bumper pads.

It's almost like its a 964 rear lower body kit and front too

Just wondering if it was possible and the other question is can you replace the whale tail with a duck tail with ease?

Just fishing around for some advice at the moment. Looking back into an early Carrera but would love to change these two things

Put on a duck tail lid

Remove the rear black bumpers and the small impact black parts

Any advice or even better photos would be great

Kind regards

Steve

Yes, one popular option is the IROC front bumper, RS, RSR or IROC rear bumper and depending on what tail you want either and IROC tail or Ducktail. The IROC cars originally came from the factory with ducktails and the IROC whale tails were added after initial testing.

There allot of suppliers out there but after allot of research I'm going this route with mine and will be using either Getty Design, GT Racing, or someone out of the UK / Europe like FSH or Tuthill's supplier.

Depending on what flares you have on the car or are planning on adding determines the width of bumpers that will be used, for me it's for a turbo flared car so 9" front and 11" rear 74 IROC bumper, also some suppliers name them differently.

If you go to this link on my webspace there is a whole folder of the original IROC cars.

EDIT: I'll also add it;s not a small job if you want to do it right.

Ojk3wgy.jpg?1

1974_iroc_porsche_911_5.jpg

1974_iroc_porsche_911_6.jpg

Why would you want to do such a thing? ;)  :P  B) 

Quality parts are essential if you want to get the fit 'right'. Will be hard to find a 'duck tail' locally, obviously factor costs in for painting, rubbers etc. 

All personal choice I guess. I love the delete of the big bumpers as per Clutch -Monkey. But love the rear smoothness of Quozl. I think it makes the rear a little bit neater. The front I'm not too sure what do do as I'm not super keen on the RS look as its just a Carrera.

Just throwing ideas around at this stage. I've noticed there are now endless fabrication options available . I won't be paying for paint so this is why I'm contemplating making the changes if it goes through. Still a while off though.

Also love the removal of the rubber parts of the whale tail and wouldn't rule out colour coding the back deck vent.

Love the photos guys really appreciate the help and advice

Steve

But then again the whole backdate, forward date, indate, outdate thing that has mired the poor old impact bumper will, in my humble view, turn full circle and the IB will become fashionable once again - or at least seen for it's historical importance in the Porsche world.

My prediction will be in 5 years time the price and scarcity of the back accordion bumpers will reach the stratospheric level of those ridiculous periscope headlight washer thingies.

I posted Getty design in my reply earlier;

From my queries on Pelican about this same topic they seem to be the go to company out of America for fit and finish of fibreglass parts. The others that get good reviews are FSH and the other Euro supplier I posted.

Cheers Al

• 3 months later...

Archived