First generation Carrera advice for extra power from owners or experts please

Steve88

Being realistic I don't think a 930 will happen. With a Wedding in the cards and a copious amount of capital injected into my business I think a $60,000 porsche isn't on the immediate horizon.

I do have the opportunity next year to pick up the first generation Carrera. Think it's somewhere between 1985-1988. I'm pretty sure.Cant confirm. Wale tale and other signs of first gen Carrera

The facts are the body resembles that of Gina Lollabridgita back in the 60s. Paint is to swoon over, interior pretty sweet too. Original Fuchs and 3 owners since new. Sitting slightly lower than factory ; all else remains original.

I just need to know how fast can I make this thing. I would like to hope its a 5 speed but even if its a four. ( possibly a 4 speed if I've got the year wrong , can't contact the seller until he is ready to sell )

I was thinking a really good exhaust system to open it up but what else will give extra KW and power without changing the engine out or anything too radical. Looking for low end torque and just a little more power

Who has an early Carrera and what have you done to get some good gains and ultimately how much did it cost ? Thinking of the old equation power = cost but sometimes sacrifice.

Also is there any logical way to reduce the weight of the car without canning everything that makes t comfy?

At information would be great. Just shooting the breeze and getting a good feel on what you guys as owners and experts think

This has been a fantastic forum so far. Looking forward to a great thread.

it won't be a 4 speed

a lightweight flywheel, SW chip and exhaust are the bang for buck mods, beyond that you are going to need lots of money. 930 money easy.
some easy weight loss with lighter seats, fibreglass bumper blades and wing/engine hatch.

and by then you still won't be straight line fast by modern standards haha, but you'll have the handful of extra hp you were after! refurbish and tweak your suspension and enjoy it :D

Good advice from Clutch. The hp gains are limited and there is only so much weight you can save without stripping copious quantities of interior.

Get the mods sorted as per Clutch's recommendations and sort the suspension which will allow the car to really come alive.

I once had visions of stripping the interior and even contemplated a supercharger for a moment. Then I realised that the car was more than I could really want.

Driving a Porsche is not about how fast you get there, it's about the experience along the way.

Thanks for the great advice guys. Wondering if anyone has completed the whole package above

Chip

Exhaust

Suspension

Fly wheel

This does sound like the stuff I'm talking about. Would love to hear from someone who has done it and ultimately love a video of an exhaust upgrade.

There seem to be so many suspension upgrades out the what would be the best kit for non track use. If all goes through I will be using this Carrera to burn around in on Sunday Mornings and late night through a forest area near my place

As always all advice and photos and so forth are greatly appreciated

Steve

i'd do the exhaust first, then the chip (it affects what chip you get, email steve wong at 911chips)- it will also have the software to stop the car stalling with the lighter flywheel. put the flywheel in when you change the clutch.

suspension and bracing.. many things to do! upgrade the torsion bars, install turbo tie rod ends, strut brace to start- then if you want more there are things like the rear engine mounts w/ RSR engine brace etc etc

i'd do the exhaust first, then the chip (it affects what chip you get, email steve wong at 911chips)- it will also have the software to stop the car stalling with the lighter flywheel. put the flywheel in when you change the clutch.

suspension and bracing.. many things to do! upgrade the torsion bars, install turbo tie rod ends, strut brace to start- then if you want more there are things like the rear engine mounts w/ RSR engine brace etc etc

Thanks Clutch Monkey.

They are great cars to drive standard too, you don't have to mod them to enjoy or get the most out of them. 

If your on a budget (as your first post suggests) I'd just work on getting the car, getting it serviced/freshened up and enjoy.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve I have an 84 Carrera 3.2', I have used turbo tie rod ends, tuned exhaust, K&N air filter, stainless braided brake lines , Swepco oil in the 915 gearbox to assist smooth changes and combined the car is performing quickly and smoothly remaining pretty much original. My next improvement will be a Wevo short shifter kit to quicken changes. It is a UK car with the real 232 BHP and a LSD. The most effective improvement was the exhaust. Davida

Archived