GAS Brand NEW rally!!!!!

Ulala

Brand new rally steps on the GAS!

Introducing a new three-day, multi-stage Victorian high country rally for 2011, the Great Alpine Sprint.

Mountain Motorsports, the organization behind the first Victorian tarmac rally, the Mt Buller Sprint, is proud to announce a second, new and exciting addition to its 2011 motorsport calendar.

The inaugural Mt Baw Baw Sprint, a fast and technical alpine hillclimb in the tradition of the Mt Buller Sprint (scheduled for late April 2011), will now be joined by a large-scale three-day tarmac rally in late November: “The Great Alpine Sprint”.

Based in Mt Beauty in the heart of the Victorian alpine region, the Great Alpine Sprint (GAS) promises 240 competitive kilometres of challenging mountain roads, making up more than 50 percent of the rally’s total 460km distance.

And with only 220 liaison kilometres linking the stages, competitors can expect less wear and tear on the car, reduced expenses and running costs, and more time to catch up with fellow enthusiasts in a highly social setting.

On the afternoon of Friday November 25, a street stage through the township of Mt Beauty will kick off the rally for competitors and spectators alike, and serve as a warm-up for a 29km blast up the Falls Creek road.

This stage is repeated the next morning (November 26), followed by stages on the Bogong High Plains Rd towards Omeo, then the Omeo Highway, stages on the awesome Great Alpine Rd via Harrietville then Hotham Heights, and a final stage at Tawonga Gap before returning to Mt Beauty.

On Sunday November 27, the six-stage alpine loop is competed in reverse, essentially forming six more brand new stages in the process.

The event invites both Classic cars (pre-1982) and Modern cars (1982 onwards) to compete against the clock in full rally competition, or in a non-competitive closed-road touring section for performance vehicles without roll cages or rally compliance.

The price for three thrilling days of rally is just $2950 for competition cars, and $950 for touring cars. Strict road closure times have translated to a capped field of no more than 140 competitive entries and 30 touring cars, and places are expected to go quickly.

In order to secure a start in this exciting new event, Mountain Motorsports is inviting all interested parties to complete and return the attached Expression of Interest form.

Further information on the event, including full course details, accommodation information, and secure storage lock-up for interstate competitors attending other rallies in the region in the lead up to the event will be released before the end of the year.

Be sure to hit the ‘GAS’ and stake your place in these thrilling new tarmac rallies in 2011.

For more information please contact:

Peter Washington 0418 337 955 or email peter@mountainmotorsports.com.au

Tim McNeilly 0401 905 777 or email tim@mountainmotorsports.com.au

The price for three thrilling days of rally is just $2950 for competition cars, and $950 for touring cars. Strict road closure times have translated to a capped field of no more than 140 competitive entries and 30 touring cars, and places are expected to go quickly.

$950 for touring cars...what does touring cars class get to do???

Good to see you back again U-la-la! ;)

I have to say the Touring section takes my interest as well.... I'll look forward to a follow-up with more info about this. Considering the cost of the Targa Tas' and the old Classic Adelaide Touring sections, this seems reasonably cheap.

You interested Doug?

Kerry

Good to see you back again U-la-la! ;)

I have to say the Touring section takes my interest as well.... I'll look forward to a follow-up with more info about this. Considering the cost of the Targa Tas' and the old Classic Adelaide Touring sections, this seems reasonably cheap.

You interested Doug?

Kerry

The touring section does have an appeal to me, but I would like to know more about it.

$950 for touring cars...what does touring cars class get to do???

The tour follows the cmpetition section and the touring cars drive the closed road stages behind a pace car at speed. All merchandise and functions included.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Have already emailed an expression of interest (no payment yet).They said would email further detail in the next month when sorted.

Hope work doesn't get in the way!

Would be good if a few of us could get together.Will be asking about cheaper accommodation soon - will let you know.

Jan Targa would be good practise.

Cheers, Mark.

Kerry & Co,

Have decided to book a Motel in Mt Beauty, not up market but comfortable. Twin bed rooms at $80/night for Nov 25,26.

Booked 3 rooms, so looking for PF team of 6 for the Tour. If you want to include others, will give info for more bookings.

Cheers, Mark.

PF Team,

Available Motel rooms - 5 with Double beds and 2 Family rooms(Queen + 2 singles).Motel has BBQ if needed.

Let me know !

Who wants to share my room ? I will bring the Bundy !

Just fitted Bigger brakes - might need them for the High Country !

Cheers, Mark.

PF Team,

Have spoken to Tim. He told me that 6 places have been made for PF Team.So those above send in their expression of interest form (www.mountainmotorsports.com.au) marked tour group and along side name - (PF Team) with $200 Deposit to ensure place. Also let me know you have done so.25 to 30 Only on Tour group.

He is making arrangements for accommodation and will advise, but at least we have an alternative.

Cheers, Mark.

Pf Team,

You need to send in the $200 deposit to secure places.The places may go quickly as this will be like a Tassie Targa Tour but closer to Home.

We can have a reserve list to substitute if closer to the date work gets in the way.So far, 4 cars on the Team.

Please advise me your entry.

Cheers, Mark.

Unfortunately I'm out.

She Who Shall Be reminded me that I have one son finishing HSC and another finishing a degree, both who will more than likely need my support around that time, and "they'll be another!"... <_<:angry:

Not happy Jan.

K

Unfortunately I'm out.

She Who Shall Be reminded me that I have one son finishing HSC and another finishing a degree, both who will more than likely need my support around that time, and "they'll be another!"... <_<:angry:

Not happy Jan.

K

Kerry,

Glad to see your a member of the Family First Party ! Just remind them nothing else is on in January.

Merry Christmas Mate ! Mark.

• 2 months later...

Update on GAS rally Tour.

Spoke to Tim,they will be busy with upcoming Mt Bulla run so expect update after that.

We expect to have 6 places at least for PF Team so keep me updated with your interest in joining us !

Cheers, Mark.

• 3 months later...

Update on GAS Rally,

Dates the same 25-27 Nov but will now be based out of Lakes Entrance.Will post more details as they come to hand.

Will need those interested in the Tour event to list their intention to go here and I can advise on accommodation later.

Cheers, Mark.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Mountain Motorsports have cancelled this Rally.They may do a Lake Mountain 25-27 Nov later this year and are saying that a bigger and better year is ahead in 2012.

There goes my holiday fun !

Cheers, Mark.

Archived