Please stay safe people

No, I'm not talking road safety here. I'm talking about garage safety. Today I fixed the front bumper on the 964. I tossed away my jackstands just before I bought the 911 (I think they were older than me) so this morning it was either use the jack and get the job done quickly or head out and buy some new jackstands. I opted for the latter and I picked up some new jackstands. I got the car up in no time and all went smoothly. After I finished my partner came into the garage and I mentioned my shiny new jackstands, like a child with a new toy. She then mentioned a story she saw on the local news a few days ago... 

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/tributes-flow-for-holden-nut-brad-lane-found-crushed-under-his-car-at-helensvale-home/story-fnj94idh-1226893803161

It was quite a shock. Clearly a lot of time was spent in that garage working on his cars. So please guys and gals don't take the risk, veteran garage mechanics included. Work safe and don't take any shortcuts that could risk your life. I would hate to see anything this tragic happen to any of you. 

Guilty!

Couple of years ago I had my Karmann Ghia in the shed about to change a front wheel

I had lent my jack stands to a mate a couple of days earlier and couldnt get hold of him,

As I needed to change the wheel this morning for a Volksy show I was attending, I thought I'll just be careful and jack it up, pop the wheel off and I'll be right.

As soon as I removed the last wheel nut, I grabbed the top of the wheel to remove it and bang, the jack moved and the car dropped trapping my hand between the guard and the tyre!

Luckily for me, the wheel was on an angle and the jack was stuck on the front beam, so it hadnt dropped too far, yet I was still very stuck.  

I had the 'panic strength' to lift the guard up enough to remove my hand, yet the pain was pretty full on and a huge bruise was forming already.

Being as I work with my hands everyday and am a guitarist in an acoustic duo, it was possibly THE dumbest thing I have ever done, and I still feel pretty stupid for doing it.

My missus reminds me every time I'm in the shed to make sure there are stands, and she has to check by shaking the car that it won't fall off.

She also bought me 6 new jack stands which I use ALL the time no matter what I'm doing, and I also stack 2 old wheels with tyres under the car where I'm working, as I'm pretty paranoid now.

You think it can't happen to you? Think again!

Well technically they are not under the car. While it is a flashy show off way to change a tyre, I assume most owners of precision made German automobiles know its not the most "efficient" way to change a tyre. Oh yeah and being bats#!t crazy all common sense goes out the window.

Even if you have no sense of self-preservation at least think about the family member or best mate who's going to come out and find your lifeless messed up body squished under your car. Doing anything under your car without proper jackstands is just plain stupid.

Lee, I like the 2 old wheels/tyres idea as an extra backup - you can never be too careful. 

Be safe.

Archived