Unfathomable Car History..... your thoughts please.

G'day all,

Got an interesting one to share and was hoping to hear your thoughts.

Since I'm relocating back to Sydney in early September I've been wanting to buy a suitable family stationwagon to purchase in Sydney so Ive got wheels and a baby carrier on arrival. Well today I have purchased a car with the help of my brother and I quite chuffed with the purchase. However, there's something about this car that I'm really confused about.......

.....so after looking for a wagon for a while I've bought another Volvo (yes, I have a V70 up here and its been great) and given the choice of premium euro wagons in the market is now so limited I really targeted getting a V60 T6 AWD, something that has been quite difficult given how few there are in Australia. Given a 335i and a C63 were just a little too much to justify it was down to the Swede or an Audi/VW and frankly I just prefer the design language of the new Volvos.

So, choice made and luckily I stumbled across a carsales advertisement for an ex-Volvo Australia car being sold by SVM in Sydney. Nice colour, all the options, 2011 model....and only 8,500km and still another 2 years of factory warranty to run courtesy of a year extention thrown into the deal. Amazing, and given its got 12 months rego and is less than half the price of a new one I'm stoked.

But here's what has me stumped.

The car is a Oct 2010 build which makes it one of the first imported for the March 2011 launch...ok.....that's normal. Bond was paid on the car in April 2011. Warranty was activated in May 2012.....and there's no evidence of a rego plate on it until June 2013! Very interesting.

So it's got me stumped. Having worked for 3 manufaturers I've dealt with heaps of company owned cars. Generally we kept them for 6-12 months and then feed them out to the dealer network at cheaper demo prices. So it cant be a company executive's car. Nor is it likely to have been a journalist evaluation car as it's not even a current model.

So what was it to Volvo?

We've cleared it with them if it's been damaged and repaired....absolutley not they say (and of course they are legally mandated to have to reveal if it was). The dealer has no idea either. The car is in absolutely as new condition, interior hardly looks like it's been sat in.

Could it have been a aftersales "training car" that's been used in market to undertake technician training? Could it have been one of those display cars used at golf tournaments and motor shows? Could it have been a "Volvo Ambassador" car where the celeb never used it? Could it have been a support car for a global marketing campaign like Volvo Ocean Racing or similar? Could it have been sent to another market and then ended up in Australia?

It's got me stumped. No manufacturer I have worked for would own a car for so long and simply not use it.

I suppose in the end I'll never know but seems that I've lucked out. Got to say, really pleased to have got a turbo 6 cylinder with over 300hp....I was simply not prepared to buy another 4 cyl or diesel.

So.....what do you think?

Got some information today to help with this.

Firstly, it does appear that Volvo did (or does)carry excess stock in Australia. The car was originally duty paid in 2011 and used for golf tournaments and displays then reported as a "demo" (for VFacts padding) in 2012 and then registered to the aftersales training department.

My thanks goes to Mike for his help in determining how legit the car is.

Seems that the RRP for a new V60 T6 is a touch unpalatable for most in Australia (which is not surprising at nearly $85K for this one including all the fruit it has) but I seem to have stumbled across a rare used gem.

Now I have to deal with knowing that I have 700hp sitting at home in the garage between 2 cars.....and continue to get the most out of 197hp (and nearly 2 tonnes) of Volvo up here for the next 4 months.

What do you think about "adding" the Polestar ECU flash for $1,400?

The stock T6 and Polestar engines are apparently identical and mine can be flashed at Volvo service without voiding warranty. 20kW and 40Nm for that money.

Very tempting given I have 2 years still to run on the factory cover.

Archived