Rack me! - rebuilding rack pt number 914.347.014.01

michel

rack me...this internet rumour stuff can drive you crazy particularly if you are lazy..which I was to begin with...Asking q's only gets you so far

so after a bout of 'tough' love on other forums...I went internet sniffing. 12 hours later

knew the bearings were going to found.The radial shaft seal posed an intitial quandary only because i got it in my head this was an unobtanium porsche ZF part. This coupled with forum buttscuttle made me chew my nails and bottom lip .

but

the reality is different.

My rack has

bearings (16002) 2 of. pressed onto the pinion

o-ring 12mm ID 1 of above the top bearing

radial shaft seal 40 26 7 (single lip)

bunch of shims - these are proving hard to locate - any tips all the bearing supply shops cant help unless I want to buy 100 of each = $550.00!!!

thats it - pics to come  as I rebuild it this weekend

On line? http://www.precisionshims.com.au/a/About-Precision-Shims

Have you tried e-bay? i had a quick look but i don't know what size and thickness you need.

Go to the local steering repair guy with a sample shim see if they will sell you some, I did this when trying to find a specific size o-ring and a local hydraulic shop gave me a handful FOC.

I assume you are anticipating needing to adjust the end float on the pinion with the new bearings?

Thx cal for the link - I was award of done of the out of towner suppliers . Just hoping to have found it local to be honest easier to trip over a cigar smokin ahole hockey than finding shims.

My last resort was to have a single part machined by a mate though, Ill give these guys a call in the morning and see if I can have 5 see shims sent pronto see what comes first

And yes end float it keeps me up late at night....At least I may have found a new career post budget... Anyone else have rack pt # 914.347.014.01 need rebuilding :)

Michel, I took the bearings and seal to a bearing supplier and they matched them no problem. Seals especially are only an OD/ID/Width equation.

Looking online can do your head in, the face to face wins every time(well maybe not every)

chris agreed the internet in all its colours particularly forums, can give rise to anxiety and perpetuate rumour/myth...well sometimes.

As said the bearings (16002) were the easy bit and the radial seal (40 26 7) once I got over the idea it was a bit of special Porsche/ZF  - these items are been picked up today.

It is the shims that are causing me annoyance; no one in canberra seems to have either the shim made up, or even the shim material so I can make my own

Thx Steve

None of my usual suspects black woods included had shims or shim material in sizing I wanted - if they had any at all.

Measured the old shins and having one custom shim made

Archived