997 perspectives?

Merv

I am  looking around to buy a decent 997, probably a base Carrera, coupe/manual.

I am interested in any perspectives that you may have on these cars?  I know the IMS/RMS issues but really interested in driving experiences, Tip vs PDk, options necessary.

many thanks,

Merv

Having been in a manual Carrera S I'm impressed, probably going to end up with one as a lease car next year. Einsteiny and Quozl should have more info

I am  looking around to buy a decent 997, probably a base Carrera, coupe/manual.

I am interested in any perspectives that you may have on these cars?  I know the IMS/RMS issues but really interested in driving experiences, Tip vs PDk, options necessary.

many thanks,

Merv

Merv,

Buy a 997.2 & then you don't need to worry about IMS. I had a 2010 997.2 3.6ltr AWD manual. It was a very good car, great to drive & I have to say the 3.6 while not an S was still a very capable & fast car. I have driven the PDK cars & they are great too, I just have a personal bias for manuals. I had a 991 3.4ltr & I think the 997 was the better car. There are some great 997.2 buys out there at the moment, shop around.

Thanks guys. I get the message about the quality of the 997. Manual is what I want. The best I have seen is a 2008 manual with 30K Km's BUT it is a cabriolet . Seems they have a softer suspension and the 911 look is rather lost.

I had an '07  997 4s Manual which I loved dearly and used as a daily driver for 18 months. It was so much of a car and that was the problem. You could never drive it to its potential and around the streets at 60km/h is was just like any other car. My 964 on the other hand is noisey, smelly and still a lot of fun around the streets.

The 4s had a lot of road noise partially due to the wide rear end and massive tyres but it is also inherent in the design of the 997. I was going to trade up to a 991 but decided on the best of both worlds and bought a new Cayenne GTS and a '90 964 Carrera 2 for a $100k cheaper than a 991.

Craig

I have a 997.1 2005 base Carrera which has been my daily driver for last 4 Years.

Always brings a smile to my dial whenever I drive it.

Has the sports exhaust as the only option!!

If you look at the IMS as a maintenance item built into the cost of ownership 997.1's

appear to be becoming somewhat of a bargain allowing for the fact that the early cars like mine

are pushing towards 10 years old.

Dave

True Dave - you seem to have the perfect set up.  The base Carrera with the sports exhaust seems the best by all accounts I have read. Now I just need to find one.  Brisbane Porsche has a Cab but I really want a coupe.

Thanks also Craig.

Merv

Archived