Fingertip guidance system@170mph in 1986

nice

although i often wonder what happens to these cars afterwards, like the advertising they did at the beach or on salt flats. do they end up being customer cars?

nice

although i often wonder what happens to these cars afterwards, like the advertising they did at the beach or on salt flats. do they end up being customer cars?

Yeah I wonder who owns this one now, while it didn't really go over a cliff it certainly was knee deep at the beach.

The body was designed to cope with salted roads and daily driving. The warranty on the body was 7 years.

After the salt pan run (dry salt) a good hose down would return the car to as new. It's oily grime and mud that causes salt to accumulate that is the problem. 

FYI http://www.928registry.org/1987-928/1987-928S4-Mark-Kibort-Excellence-10-2004.htm

http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/526412-holbert-kibort-928-announcement.html

From Sept 2009

We have found someone to take on the Holbert restoration project. O'Behave (Ed) is going to take on the project after we take what is left of the Holbert World Speed Record setting Porsche 928, down to Mark Anderson's 928inl to do the swap of my drive train to the donated, donor tub. Ed and I reached an agreement for all the Holbert pieces, with the original short block, and even the original doors that have been in storage for 8 years . He is requesting that I leave the cage in the car, as it is a pretty good cage and is not damaged, so that will help me in the labor department, now not needing to take a sawzall to it. smile.gif

There are still many challenges ahead, as we coordinate the restoration of my new race car based on the donor chassis, and what might be needed to bend the holbert tub, back in to shape. I will be providing all the documentation I have on the car, along with a library of pictures of its transformation from abandoned rescue vehicle, to race car.

I look forward to seeing the ole' Holbert 928, back in action some day soon. Even though it had 8 years of hard racing, 8 years of IMSA rescue duty, 4 years of loneliness in someones side yard or in a high school auto shop, and a brief stint on the Salt at Bonneville going 172mph for a couple of miles, I believe its work is not done capturing the imagination of all 928 owners everwhere.

Mark Kibort

Archived