Jaguar buys the largest British car collection in the world

JV911

James Hull's 500-plus car collection now belongs to Jaguar Special Operations

27 years ago, James Hull started his dentistry business in a small town in Wales. Today his dental empire reigns across 50 locations across Great Britain, tweaking the teeth of self-conscious Britons to the tune of nearly 7 million pounds per year ($11.8 million) and a business value of nearly 90 million pounds ($152 million). T

here's a lot of money to be made, evidently, in overthrowing a British stereotype. Mr. Hull -- cricketer, cancer survivor (3 times!), and self-confessed workaholic -- spent this fortune quietly amassing one of the UK's largest car collections: a whopping 543 cars, scurried away in an airy, skylight-laden warehouse in Hertfordshire, north of London.

- See more at:http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/jaguar-buys-worlds-largest-collection-british-cars

Jaguar seems to have woken up to its tradition and heritage and has started a classic vehicles division and is going to be issuing certificates like the Ferrari clasiche. Seems like an obvious move to me. They will just have to put the embarrassments of the 70s to 90s periods down to bad management and get on with things.

Brands like this are fast realising there is much value in their tradition and heritage, especially in newest-of-new-money places like china.

So refreshing to see this word used as opposed to "marque", lol. Though when we were kids we used to say "make".

I'm not sure I could carry on a serious conversation with someone who said 'marque' without snickering and having to bit my tongue.  It's OK for classic British car magazines to carry on like that but I didn't think anyone in the real world actually used that sort of terminology!

Jaguar has had more owners than a $10 note and was reduced to nothing but a brand in a collection of them - thankfully they seem to be finding their feet again and - crucially - connecting with a younger audience in the process.  I await the new 3 series competitor to see how it goes - the simply awful x-type was just an embarrassment.   Tarting up a mundane car platform with gauche retro styling and trying to pass it off as some sort of luxury car was embarrassing.  The only thing more embarrassing was the perennially patriotic British motoring press doing their best to pretend it really was a proper alternative to a 3 series or c-class.  

Archived