Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook

Happy New Year!

Over the break I had the good fortune to find in my local library (Brighton) a great book written by Vic Elford called 'Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook.'

It is a must read for drivers of all types of Porsche, but his specialties are early 911 rally cars and the mighty 917. There are some great high performance driving tips. It was first published in 1994 and covers models up to that year.

If you have access to Brighton Library the Catalogue number is 629.283 ELF

If you get caught up in his exploits in the 917 then check out the 40th anniversary of the 917 in Sports Car Digest

http://www.sportscardigest.com/happy-40th-anniversary-porsche-917-photo-gallery/

Cheers

Wayne

Happy New Year!

Over the break I had the good fortune to find in my local library (Brighton) a great book written by Vic Elford called 'Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook.'

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks for the tip Wayne. Have just ordered it from abebooks :)

Regards,

Glenn.

Doug, you smile sweetly at the Librarian and give her a wink. Worked for me, and I married the Librarian. Inter Library loans can search out quite a few Porsche books and get them for you for free or for a small fee.

Cheers

Paul M.

OK, have read it and I'm a bit disappointed. As a summary of Vic's exploits, good photos of early race Porsches and general principles of advanced driving, it's good. BUT, it is called the PORSCHE High Performance etc and with the exception of two points (pivot point, and possibly recovering from a spin) in the entire handbook, it does not make specific reference as to how to drive your Porsche, especially a 911. So as a Porsche specific book I find it lacking. As a general principle book I have no problem with it, for non 911 Porsches anyway,but it is no better than Frank Gardener's Racing Drivers Manual which is more to the point and more entertaining to read.

So can anyone recommend a 911 specific driver's handbook? or should I sign up for the next Driver Education day (Yes, I know is the answer, it's a rhetorical question).

Cheers, and apologies to Vic.

Paul M

Archived