944 Turbo track conversion

Fox944

hi all, I know this must be a common question, but I would dearly like to improve the power in my 1986 944 Turbo. And of course, doing it for the least cost.

What top five things would you recommend in changing or upgrading, so as to increase power, making it suitable for say Wakefield Park? (I went round Wakefield last year in a rather slow 1:26).

Are these performance chips worth it? Would slick tyres and improved exhaust system do it? If anyone can give me some top tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Martin

Hi Martin,

Porsche Club NSW members (membership) will be your best source of info and supply outlets. For Rego cars R Spec Tyres 2-3 secs, Brake pads are the best start.

List and costs start to rise from there.Enjoy the ride !

Cheers, 9fan.

Paul M is ahead of me, but the best performance investment is without a doubt another driving course. If you can match the instructors' times then work on the car.

Cheers, Johnno

Agree agree agree.

I can highly recommend John Bowe Driving.

They do a High Performance program at Wakefield.

John Bowe Driving Course Dates

Doug

I have tracked 944S2 and 951 (944 turbo) and did quite a few mod to the 951, in fact I sold the 951 to a very decent steerer and he managed to get on the podium in Classic Adelaide one year.

I don't know you so won't comment on your driving but here a list of thing I would do in order of priority.

1) suspension upgrade springs/shocks and swaybars, at least to the M030 spec.

2) brake upgrade to the 1989 turbo S spec.

3) lose some weight, start with race seats then all the way to aircond delete

4) turn up the boost, via boost enhancer and/or after market wastegate.

5) chip, yes they make a difference mainly because they take advantage of better fuel on the market today.

you must take great care with 4) & 5) they must be done within safe limits else Porsche engines are very expensive to rebuild.

There is a great forum on 951 on RennList you should look at.

p.s. run the best tyres allowed in your class, if R-Rated Dunlop DO3 or Bridgestone RE55

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. Thanks all for your comments. Will definitely check out driver training at Wakefield. Cheers.

I have tracked 944S2 and 951 (944 turbo) and did quite a few mod to the 951, in fact I sold the 951 to a very decent steerer and he managed to get on the podium in Classic Adelaide one year.

I don't know you so won't comment on your driving but here a list of thing I would do in order of priority.

1) suspension upgrade springs/shocks and swaybars, at least to the M030 spec.

2) brake upgrade to the 1989 turbo S spec.

3) lose some weight, start with race seats then all the way to aircond delete

4) turn up the boost, via boost enhancer and/or after market wastegate.

5) chip, yes they make a difference mainly because they take advantage of better fuel on the market today.

you must take great care with 4) & 5) they must be done within safe limits else Porsche engines are very expensive to rebuild.

There is a great forum on 951 on RennList you should look at.

p.s. run the best tyres allowed in your class, if R-Rated Dunlop DO3 or Bridgestone RE55

Archived