Hammond’s icons: Porsche 964RS

JV911

It's often said that bacon is the worst culprit for turning vegetarians back to eating meat. I've seen it happen. On a short trip away with a friend of mine who had recently committed himself sincerely and forever to vegetarianism, I watched as his considerable willpower and determination were swept aside by the smell of a bacon sandwich. Some things, once tried, are just too good to resist.

I have never given up liking Porsche 911s, so the 964RS didn't have to work hard to bring me back into the fold. But as a fan of 911s, this thing is like catnip to me: it is very 911ish. If it were bacon, then one whiff of it would have vegetarians biting chunks out of the person next to them.

The 964RS was a lightened, sported-up version of the 964, launched at the 1991 Geneva show for a sturdy £15,000 more than the standard Carrera 2. They were only built between 1992 and 1994. They didn't have electric windows or electric seats, air-conditioning or sound deadening. And if that's not got your tastebuds tingling already, you should listen to it.

more: http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/richard-hammond-icons-top-gear-porsche-964-rs-2014-09-15

I've never driven a 964RS , is this true? Doesn't sound too healthy!

the constant shouting, grinding, clattery racket from that ugly-ass engine

As for the word "ass" ; I suspect the real pukka English RH would use the word "arse" , so perhaps he is not the author.

A single mass flywheel makes your RS 911 sound like a coffee grinder is located behind your left (or right in those LHD countries) ear and you either love it or hate it. I love it, my wife hates it. Oh well, I get to drive the RS on my own. Such a shame!

As for the word "ass" ; I suspect the real pukka English RH would use the word "arse" , so perhaps he is not the author.

If not then whoever wrote it has done their homework. The use of the word "clocks" instead of guages is very Hammond-esque (and annoying!)

If not then whoever wrote it has done their homework. The use of the word "clocks" instead of guages is very Hammond-esque (and annoying!)

like a washing machine full of bear traps and honey badgers

Perhaps aimed at an American audience?

Archived