What holds my side window glass in place?

SteveT

Hi All,

On my '76 Targa the drivers side window glass came loose so I pulled the door card off and the glass has just come out of the window regulator. I can kind of get it back in but it's not in all the way so I thought that whatever is supposed to hold it in is now stopping it from going back in properly. I can't see or work out what holds it in.

Please help.

Steve,

I suggest you download the part manual called PET from the Porsche Classic site for your car. It shows how all the bits go together plus gives you the part numbers.

Assuming the '76 is the same as the later air cooled cars, the window glass is supported by a folded steel u channel that has a rubber insert that relies on friction to keep the glass firmly attached to the channel. This channel is in turn attached to the window regulator scissor arms to make the window go up and down

The steel channel rusts after a while and loses grip on the glass and the two part company. The channel costs about $185US plus about $5US for the rubber insert from Pelican Parts.

However, if your window glass has simply come out of the rubber support, you might find a squirt of silicon spray will assist you to wiggle it back into place.

Thanks peeps. No rust on mine so I guess it just came out. I am going to call Just James and see how much a new rubber thing to hold the window into the channel is going to cost and go from there.

• 1 month later...

Ok so there was rust on the channel that holds the glass in place, it runs along the bottom of the glass. I replaced the channel with a new shiny part from Porsche Australia for around $175 plus the rubber that holds the glass in place nice and snugly. Refitted door card and works fine.

Archived